St. Mungo, Dumfriesshire, Scotland GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This is a guide to the history and major genealogical records of Scotland as they pertain to the parish of St. Mungo. To learn more about how to use these records to search for your ancestors, go to the Scotland: Research Strategies.
MUNGO, ST., a parish, in the county of Dumfries, 4 miles (W. by N.) from Ecclesfechan. The name was originally Aber-milk, the old British term Aber, signifying "a confluence of waters," being descriptive of the situation of the parish, part of which is a kind of peninsula formed by the junction of the rivers Milk and Annan. The church was early dedicated to St. Mungo, founder of the see of Glasgow; and by the name of this favourite patron the parish is now invariably called. The church, recently erected, and situated in the centre of the parish, is a very neat structure: the former church, built in the reign of Alexander III., was taken down owing to its dangerous state.
The New Statistical Account of Scotland (pub. 1834-45) offers uniquely rich and detailed parish reports for the whole of Scotland, covering a vast range of topics including history, agriculture, education, trades, religion and social customs. The reports, written by the parish ministers, are available online at edina.($) Click on ‘Browse scanned pages’ then search the parish reports for St. Mungo. Also available at the Family History Library.
A census is a count and description of the population, taken by the government, arranged by locality and by household. Read more about Scotland Census Records.
Click here for a list of the Family History Library microfilm numbers for the census records of St. Mungo.
Below is information for any known surname indexes:
|1841||941.48/S2 X22 1841|
|1851||941.48/S2 X2m 1851|
|1881||6086550 ( 3 fiche)|
The 1901 census of Scotland is indexed on scotlandspeople.($) To use it, you must register and pay a small access fee. All available censuses, 1841-1901, are indexed on this website. It may be easier for you to pay to use the website rather than access indexes through the library.
The Established Church of Scotland was Presbyterian. Read more about Scotland Church Records
Here are the pre-1855 records that exist for this parish.
Established Churc'h—Old Parochial Registers'
|Years Covered||FHL Film Number|
|Births:||1700-1854||1067970 item 7-8|
|Marriages:||1700-1854||1067970 item 7-8|
|Deaths:||1702-1854||1067970 item 7-8|
Condition of Original Registers—
Index: For an index to these records, see the Scottish Church Records Index on computer at the Family History Library and family history centers. Some of these records may be indexed and searchable on familysearch.org
Births: Births are intermixed with marriages and deaths until 1731. No entries for 1722; only four for August 1724–October 1736; and no entries May 1749–July 1751. Mother's names rarely recorded until 1810.
Marriages: No entries 1723–1724, July 1727–August 1729, February 1763–June 1811 except one for 1765 and two 1803–1804. There is only one entry 1733, August 1730–December 1762 after which a few entries are intermixed with births.
Deaths: Deaths are intermixed with births or recorded on occasional pages of the register of births until 1781. Entries are somewhat irregular after 1758. There are no entries December 1781–1810, except for three for 1803–1807.
Source: Key to the Parochial Registers of Scotland, by V. Ben Bloxham, pub. 1970. British Book 941 K23b.
Established Church—Kirk Session Records
The Kirk session was the court of the parish. The session was made up of the minister and the land owners and business men of the parish, chosen to serve on the session. The Kirk session dealt with moral issues, minor criminal cases, matters of the poor and education, matters of discipline, and the general concerns of the parish. Kirk session records may also mention births, marriages, and deaths.
Here is a list of the surviving Kirk session records for this parish:
Nonconformist Church Records
A nonconformist church is any church that is not the Established church. Read more about nonconformity in Scotland in the article on the Scotland Church Records Union Lists.
No known nonconformist groups, though in 1834 there were within the parish 30 Seceders, 4 Episcopalians, and 4 Catholics who would have attended services in neighboring parishes.
Civil Registration Records
Government or civil registration of births, marriages, and deaths (also called statutory records) began on January 1, 1855 in Scotland. Each parish has a registrar's office and large cities have several. The records are created by the registrars and copies are sent to the General Register Office in Edinburgh. Annual indexes are then created for the records for the whole country.
See the article on Scotland Civil Registration for more information and to access the records.
St. Mungo was under the probate jurisdiction of the Commissary Court of Dumfries until 1823, and since then has been under the Sheriff's Court of Dumfries. Probate records for 1513- 1901 are indexed online at scotlandspeople.($) You must register on the website but use of the index to probate records, called 'Wills & Testaments,' is free. You may then purchase a copy of the document or, if the document is before 1823, it will be on microfilm at the Family History Library. To find the microfilm numbers, search in the library catalog for the 'Place-names' of Dumfries and the subject of 'Probate records.' Then click on the link to the records of the Commissariat of Dumfries.
The library also has some post-1823 probate records for Dumfries. Look in the library catalog for the 'Place-names' of Dumfries and the subjects of 'Probate Records' and 'Probate Records - Indexes.'
Read more about Scotland Probate Records.
Return to the Dumfriesshire parish list.
- This page was last modified on 28 June 2015, at 17:31.
- This page has been accessed 2,276 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News