St. Tammany Parish, LouisianaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to St. Tammany Parish Louisiana genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|St. Tammany Parish, Louisiana|
Location in the state of Louisiana
Location of Louisiana in the U.S.
|Founded||October 27, 1810|
701 N. Columbia Street
PO Box 1090;
Covington, LA 70434
Parish Clerk has marriage, divorce, probate and court records from 1812,
land records from 1810, tax records from 1880 and military discharge records.
1810--St. Tammany Parish was created 27 October 1810 from Spanish West Florida (Old).
Parish seat: Covington 
See an interactive map of St. Tammany Parish boundary changes. (map also shows parish boundaries for census years)
Places / Localities
Neighboring Parishes or Counties
- Louisiana African American Griots Project ~ USGenWeb Project
- Afrigeneas - African Ancestored Genealogy
- LA Tombstone Transcription Project ~ partial records and photos ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Interment.net ~LA cemetery records by county
- African American Cemeteries ~ listing by county;
- FindaGrave.com ~ cemetery records with search by cemetery, by surname
|St. Tammany Parish Census Data|
- Louisiana Census Images ~ USGenWeb Census Images Project
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Louisiana denominations, view the Louisiana Church Records wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Louisiana Land and Property for additional information about early Louisiana land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse where records are also currently housed.
Local histories are available for St. Tammany Parish, Louisiana. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Louisiana Local Histories. Louisiana Museums
- USGW Digital Map Collection ~ USGenWeb Project
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as St. Tammany Parish, Louisiana newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Tammany+parish+Louisiana+Newspapers&qt=results_page WorldCat (For instructions see WorldCat Online Catalog).
- Do a St. Tammany Parish, Louisiana Place-name search for these and other records in the Family History Library Catalog (For instructions see FHL Catalog Place-name Search).
Probate records before 1845 were kept in probate courts. Since 1845, they have been kept by the St. Tammany Parish, Louisiana clerk of the district court. Many of the probate records are included in the notarial records with the deeds and mortgages. In some parishes they are known as “succession” records.
See the Wiki page Louisiana Probate Records for more information about probate records in Louisiana.
Content: Probate records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Louisiana Probate Records ~ information on.
Louisiana statewide registration of birth and death records began in 1911. Births and deaths are kept by the Louisiana Vital Records Registry. Marriages were recorded by each parish, and the records are at the parish clerk of court office. See Louisiana Vital Records for more information on getting Louisiana records.
Louisiana Records and Statistics Information ~ where and how to order information.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- LAGenWeb - Louisiana State Records
- USGenWeb ~ Records, Maps, Archives and Other Projects
- Family History Library Catalog
- St. Tammany Parish, Louisiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed., St Tammany Parish, Louisiana p 292 (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ United States Census Bureau. "St. Tammany Parish Quickfacts". http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/22/22103.html. Retrieved 2007-06-12.
- ↑ United States Census Bureau. "Louisiana Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/la190090.txt. Retrieved 2007-06-12.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/c/c2/Igilouisiana.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 6 August 2013, at 14:24.
- This page has been accessed 4,111 times.