St Laurence in Thanet, Kent GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to St Laurence in Thanet, Kent ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|St Laurence in Thanet, Kent|
|Hundred||Ringslow or Isle of Thanet|
|Poor Law Union||Thanet|
|Parish registers: 1599|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1560|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Canterbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent Record Office|
The first building used for worship in Ramsgate was St Laurence-in-Thanet, see Historic Buildings in Ramsgate Wikipedia. The Village and civil parish of St Lawrence-in-Thanet (note the significant difference in spelling) became part of Ramsgate. See Isle of Thanet Rural District Wikipedia for that part of the civil parish reorganisation. See also Ramsgate Wikipedia
The Ancient Parish of St Laurence is dedicated to the Roman Martyr Laurence, a map of the parish boundary is available at A church near you
The church of St Lawrence, Ramsgate High Street, Ramsgate has been designated as a grade I listed building British listed building
Kent County Council (KCC) has a certificate centre at the Mansion House in Tunbridge Wells which holds all the completed registers for Kent since 1 July 1837 and can supply a certified copy of any Kent birth, death or marriage entry from any register within its custody or a Kent civil partnership registration from the government online database.
The Mansion House
Grove Hill Road
Kent TN1 1EP
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
St Laurence in Thanet, Kent Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FMP = FindMyPast - (£)|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|St Laurence in Thanet, Kent Genealogy Online Parish Records|
|FMP||1562-1912||1562-1912||1559-1906; 1754-1850 (Banns)||1559-1906; 1754-1850 (Banns)||1559-1898||1559-1898|
Caution: Many entries known to be recorded in the parish register are not retrieved by FindMyPast's search engine.
Images are available at FamilySearch Records see England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments (FamilySearch Historical Records) 1780-1832 The images are identified as Kent> Thanet,St.Lawrence (sic)
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition FamilySearch Centres offer free access to images of the England and Wales Census through FHC Portal Computers here have access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
Category:England Family History Centres to locate local Family History Centres in UK
Introduction to LDS Family History Centers to locate outside UK.
Many archives and local history collections in public libraries in England and Wales offer online census searches and also hold microfilm or fiche census returns.
Images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable)
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Local Family History Centre
- FHC Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate (FamilySearch Historical Records) and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments (FamilySearch Historical Records) means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these
Maps and Gazetteers
LAURENCE, ST., a parish, in the union of the Isle of Thanet, hundred of Ringslow, or Isle of Thanet, lathe of St. Augustine, E. division of Kent, ¾ of a mile (W.) from Ramsgate. 
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ 'Canterbury baptism records coverage', Find My Past, accessed 11 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Canterbury marriage records coverage', Find My Past, accessed 14 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Canterbury banns coverage', Find My Past, accessed 11 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Canterbury burial records coverage', Find My Past, accessed 14 November 2013.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Kent, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 15 November 2013.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 33-37. Date accessed: 20 May 2013.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- This page was last modified on 2 February 2016, at 01:50.
- This page has been accessed 5,653 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News