St Mary, High Crompton,Lancashire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
High Crompton St Mary is an ecclesiastical parish founded in 1872 within the Rochdale deanery of the Diocese of Manchester. The church was one of three parishes in the Crompton/Shaw township.
About 620AD the Saxon King of Northumbria sent an army to conquer Mercia. As they marched they founded a string of villages (“tons”)-Royton,Ashton etc-Crompton was one of these.”Crom,crumb” is Anglo –Saxon for crooked and describes the local topography. Shaw derives from “sceaga”, Anglo-Saxon for a wood.
After the Norman conquest, the area was given to Roger de Picaventis, maternal nephew of William the Conqueror. By the 13th Century, the De la Legh family (more Normans) had acquired the land. This family changed its name to de Crompton.
Until the Industrial Revolution the area was sparsely populated and consisted of woods, moors and bogs. The local economy depended on sheep for woollen manufacture with small coal pits for fuel and stone quarries for building materials. To encourage wool production a law existed between 1675 and 1816 requiring all bodies to be buried in woollen garments.
Shaw and Crompton grew in 19th Century to be a major centre of cotton spinning and textile manufacture. In its heyday there were more than 48 mills .By 1871 the population was 7032, growing to 14750 by 1921
Shaw and Crompton are situated on the Lancashire Yorkshire border, Currently the locals refer to the area as Shaw in contrast to former times when it was generally known as Crompton . At one time going to Shaw was synonymous with going to church as there was not much else there.
Events post 1837 may be searched online Free BMD
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD
High Crompton- St Mary
Banns-1890-1950- MFPR 2179
Baptisms-1878-1930- MFPR 2179
Baptisms-1930-1974- Archives L275
Marriages-1878-1949- MFPR 2179
The Manchester Room and Greater Manchester County Record Office
The Manchester Room@City Library (Local Studies)
Parish registers for St. Mary's Church, High Crompton, 1878-1950 Microfilm of original records formerly held at the Manchester Archives Central Library in Manchester, England. Crompton is a township in Prestwich parish. The church is located in High Crompton, one of three villages in Crompton township.Manchester Archives Central Library call no.: L275.
| Baptisms, 1878-1931. Marriages, 1878-1949. Banns of marriages, 1890-1950.
|| FHL BRITISH Film |
1408731 Items 5 - 10
Poor Law Unions
Maps and Gazetteers
England Jurisdictions 1851 has earlier parishes for Shaw and Crompton preceding the formation of the parish.
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=53008 British History online Crompton
- This page was last modified on 12 March 2015, at 17:46.
- This page has been accessed 592 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News