Stannard, VermontEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Stannard was chartered on August 19, 1867 by the Vermont Legislature. One of the most acclaimed veterans returned from the Civil War was General George Stannard, who was called the Hero of Gettysburg by his fe!low Vermonters. Most military historians give General Stannard and his Vermonters credit for having achieved one of the key victories of the war when they first broke Pickett's charge and then later repulsed the attack by Florida and Alabama troops at the Battle of Gettysburg.
Finally heeding the pleas of its residents, the legislature decided to give what had been known as Goshen Gore Number 1 independent status as a town. The new town was named Stannard in the General's honor.
FamilySearch Historical Records Collection has Vermont birth, death, and marriage records online.
The probate district for Stannard is Caledonia
Caledonia Probate Division
1126 Main St, Ste 1
St Johnsbury, VT 05819
Phone: (802) 748-6605
The following is a list of major cemeteries in present-day Stannard. For location of all cemeteries, see Cemeteries of Vermont, Caledonia County, website at this link.
- Batchelder Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Stannard Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
The Family History Library has microfilm of original records from the Stannard Town Clerk's Office. These include General index to land records, 1867-1972.
Stannard Town Clerk
615 Stannard Mountain Road
Stannard, VT 05842
P.O. Box 94
Greensboro Bend, VT 05842
Phone: (802) 533-2577
Libraries and Historical Societies
Northeast Kingdom Genealogy - Genealogy resources for towns in the counties of Essex, Orleans and Caledonia.
- ↑ About Stannard, Vermont - http://www.virtualvermont.com/towns/stannard.html#about
- ↑ Stannard, Vermont - Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stannard,_Vermont
- ↑ Stannard, Vermont - http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~vermont/CaledoniaStannard.html
- This page was last modified on 6 February 2015, at 03:39.
- This page has been accessed 683 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News