Stearns County, Minnesota GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Stearns County, Minnesota ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Stearns County, Minnesota|
Location in the state of Minnesota
Location of Minnesota in the U.S.
|Founded||February 20, 1855|
|County Seat||St. Cloud|
|Address|| Stearns County Courthouse|
705 Courthouse Sq
St. Cloud, MN 56303
Stearns County Website
Stearns County, Minnesota Record Dates
Court Adminostratpr has divorce, probate and court records.
County Recorder has land records.
License Center has birth, marriage and death records. 
- 1855--Stearns County was created 20 February 1855 from Cass, Nicollet, Pierce (Eliminated 20 Feb 1862), and Sibley Counties.
- County seat: St. Cloud 
- For a brief history of Stearns County's name, click here, then select Stearns County.
Cities: Avon | Sartell | Spring Hill | St. Cloud | St. Joseph
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Minnesota Church Records.
The county register of deeds keeps land records once the land was transferred to private ownership. Abstracts and indexes for these records are generally available at the county courthouse.
Land records for Minnesota are listed in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
MINNESOTA, Stearns – LAND AND PROPERTY
Local histories are available for Stearns County, Minnesota Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Minnesota Local Histories.
- William Bell Mitchell, History of Stearns County, Minnesota. Chicago : H.C. Cooper, Jr., 1915
- Newton Horace Winchell, History of the Upper Mississippi Valley. Minneapolis: Minnesota Historical Co., 1881
Civil War service men from Stearns County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Stearns County.
- - 1st Regiment, Minnesota Cavalry (Mounted Rangers), Company D.
- - 1st Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Companies D and E.
- - 3rd Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company I.
- - 4th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Companies D and G.
- - 7th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company I.
- - 9th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company G
- - Hatch's Independent Battalion, Minnesota Cavalry, Company E.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Stearns County, Minnesota Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
All newspapers are available on microfilm at Stearns History Museum
- St. Cloud Times, 1861-2011 (weekly and daily)
- Der Nordstern, 17 Feb 1876 - 27 Aug 1931 (1886 is missing)
Probate records may include, wills, bonds, petitions, accounts, inventories, administrations, orders, decrees, and distributions. They may include the decedent’s date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, etc. See Minnesota Probate Records for additional information.
Online Probate Records
Minnesota tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses before 1820 or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Minnesota Taxation.
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Minnesota State Registrar of Vital Records, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred], order electronically online ($) or download an application for Minnesota Birth Certificate and Death Certificates Applications to mail.
Societies and Libraries
Albany Historical Society
Albany, MN 56307
Stearns County Historical Society
Stearns History Museum
235 33rd Ave S
Saint Cloud MN 56301-3752
Phone: 320 253-8424
Paynesville Historical Society
PO Box 35
Paynesville MN 56362
Phone: 320 243-7547
Kimball Area Historical Society
PO Box 100
Kimball MN 55353-0100
Phone: 320 398-5250 or 1-800-252-2521
Melrose Area Historical Society
518 E 2nd St S
Melrose MN 56352-1414
Phone: 320 256-4996 or 320 256-3933
Sauk Centre Area Historical Society
430 Main St S
Sauk Centre MN 56378-1509
Phone: 320 351-8777
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- ↑ Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 385-403. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Stearns County, Minnesota page 368, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- This page was last modified on 29 January 2016, at 04:12.
- This page has been accessed 9,602 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News