Steep, Sussex GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Hundred||Easebourne; East Meon|
|Poor Law Union||Petersfield|
|Registration District||Midhurst; Petersfield|
|Parish registers: 1610; For more records see East Meon|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1780|
|Probate Court||Pre-1845 - Court of the Peculiar of East Meon with Combe, Steep, Ramsden, Froxfield and Oxenbourne; Post-1844 - Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and Archdeaconry of Winchester|
|Location of Archive|
|Hampshire Record Office|
STEEP, a parish, partly in the union of Petersfield, hundred of East Meon, Petersfield and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, and partly in the union of Midhurst, hundred of Easebourne, rape of Chichester, W. division of Sussex contains also North and South Ambersham.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Steep parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FMP = FindMyPast - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|PRTS = The Parish Register Transcription Society - (£)|
|STEEP PARISH Online Records|
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Hampshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it.|
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848), pp. 198-200.Date accessed: 5June 2013. Date Accessed: 4 October 2013
- ↑ 'Over 1.4 million new Hampshire parish records published', Find My Past, accessed 3 October 2013. Date ranges are not clearly identified.
- ↑ 'Hampshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 23 September 2013.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - Coverage', The Parish Register Transcription Society, accessed 2 October 2013.
- This page was last modified on 11 January 2016, at 19:52.
- This page has been accessed 3,324 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News