Stillwater County, Montana GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Stillwater County, Montana ancestry, family history and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Stillwater County, Montana|
Location of Montana in the U.S.
|Founded||March 24, 1913|
|Address|| Stillwater County Courthouse|
PO Box 149
Columbus, MT 59019-0149
Stillwater County Website
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|* For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
- Parent County: created 24 March 1913 from Sweet Grass | Yellowstone | Carbon
- County seat: Columbus 
- Neighboring Counties: Carbon | Golden Valley | Park | Sweet Grass | Yellowstone
Church records vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Montana denominations, view the Montana Church Records wiki page.
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political or Religious Groups
Local histories are available for Stillwater County, Montana Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Montana Local Histories.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Montana Land and Property for additional information about early Montana land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Naturalization and Citizenship
- NewspaperArchive.com ($) has a collection of digitized Montana newspapers including Billings newspapers that may include residents of Stillwater County. This database is sometimes free at libraries.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Stillwater County, Montana Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Online Probate Records
In most counties in Montana, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, inventories, claim registers, inheritance records, probate packets, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Montana, Stillwater - Probate records.
County Clerk Recorder has birth and death records from late 1800’s, land and military records; Clerk Court has marriage records from late 1800’s, divorce, probate, court and naturalization records
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
Montana tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the records.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most birth and death original records can be purchased from the Montana Department of Public Health and Human Services or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. For information about marriages, divorces, and requirements for obtaining any vital records, see the CDC Where to Write website.
- Kindred Trails Stillwater County, Montana
- Genealogy Inc Stillwater County, Montana
- Genealogy Trails Stillwater County, Montana
- [http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mtstillw/ USGenWeb Stillwater County, Montana project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), p. 418.
- This page was last modified on 29 January 2016, at 04:26.
- This page has been accessed 7,299 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News