Stutsman County, North Dakota GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Stutsman County, North Dakota genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Stutsman County, North Dakota|
Location in the state of North Dakota
Location of North Dakota in the U.S.
|Founded||January 4, 1873|
|Address|| Stutsman County Courthouse|
511 2nd Ave SE
Jamestown, ND 58401
Stutsman County Website
Clerk District Court has birth, death, burial, divorce and court records;
Register of Deeds has land records; County Judge has marriage
and probate records
Cemetery transcriptions for cemeteries in Stutsman County, providing name, date of birth, and date of death where available
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about North Dakota denominations, view the North Dakota Church Records wiki page.
- Records of the Lutheran Church, Stutsman County, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Trinity Lutheran Church, Jamestown
- Records of Trinity Lutheran Church, Jamestown, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
When the United States acquired North Dakota, most of the land became available for homesteading or purchase from the federal government. For more information on this, see North Dakota Land and Property.
After land was transferred from the government to private owners, the registrar of deeds in each county recorded the land transactions in the form of deeds and mortgages.
Local histories are available for Stutsman County, North Dakota Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section North Dakota Local Histories.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Stutsman County, North Dakota Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records of North Dakota are at the county clerk's office in each county courthouse. See above for the address of this county's courthouse. Some later estate records are available at the North Dakota Supreme Court. The Family History Library does not presently have copies of probate records from North Dakota.
See the Wiki page North Dakota Probate Records for additional information.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: dockets, guardians records, administrators records, real estate records, personal property records, and claim registers.
The location of tax records of North Dakota depend on the type of tax. Some are at the clerk's office in the county courthouse, while others are in the state archive. The Family History Library does not presently have copies of tax records from North Dakota.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the North Dakota Vital Records State Department of Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Centers for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Stutsman County, North Dakota Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Stutsman County, North Dakota. Page 526 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 "Evangelical Lutheran Church in America: An Inventory of Selected Congregational Records of the American Lutheran Church in Minnesota at the Minnesota Historical Society," Collection Finding Aids, Minnesota Historical Society, http://www.mnhs.org/library/findaids/01009.xml, accessed 10 June 2013.
- This page was last modified on 31 March 2015, at 09:09.
- This page has been accessed 5,954 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News