Surname StudiesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Surname Studies & Surname Research
The Guild of One-Name Studies, founded in 1979 and is a registered Charity in England and Wales, is the world's leading organisation for one-name studies. A one-name study or surname study is "a project researching all occurrences of a surname, as opposed to a particular pedigree (ancestors of one person) or descendancy (descendants of one person or couple)".
The Guild of One-Name Studies has a variety of indexes and projects available to members and members are encourage to participate. Members can also benefit from the experience of several well respected DNA experts. Many Guild members are administrators of DNA projects for their specific surname and can benefit from discounted DNA kits.
The Guild of One-Name Studies believes in the education of the public and members and there are throughout the year a variety of seminars and an annual conference. The sessions from seminars, the conference and the maney hangouts on air that are recorded are available via the Guild's YouTube Channel
The Guild also sponsors the Surname Studies website, a dedicated website site set up by a former Guild member the late Philip Dance. The Surname Studies website provides a wealth of information for "the study of the distribution, incidence and statistical analysis of the surnames of Britain, mainly post-1837, and primarily as a mass phenomenon".
The Surname Society was founded in 2014 as a not-for-profit entity by a worldwide group of experienced genealogists. Focussing on single surname studies, the Society meets the needs of researchers in the world of family history and genealogy as it evolves in the 21st century.
The vision of The Surname Society is to connect like-minded people by providing up-to-date facilities which enable members to share knowledge, data and good practice with others. The society is entirely online and allows members to register worldwide and limited studies. Collaboration is both facilitated and encouraged as it is the core ethos of The Surname Society.
Other Surname Sites
- Bell, Graham, Dietz, Jackson and more
- Blair Families of Ireland
- Cruse/Cruise/Cruwys one-name study
- Donegan Clan
- Fisher Family of Kings Norton
- Fisher Family (Wiltshire)
- Gooch Family History
- Greenhalgh Family
- Grimwade & Grimwood One-Name Study
- Guymer Surname Study
- Hornsby Family Genealogy
- Huvane Family History
- Krause Family Genealogy
- Lefever (Lefevre and other variants) surname study
- Lockwood One Name Study
- The Lomas Family: A Study of an Old British Family
- Lusby Family History
- Marshall Family History
- Mayer Family Tree
- McMorran Surname Study
- Muir, Miller, Knight and Jones
- Nobbs and Haresign
- Morissette and Painchaud Family History
- Orlando Worldwide One-Name Study
- Riggs Surname Study - a former Guild-registered study which, following the death of the founder, is currently available for adoption
- Scholderer Surname Study
- Sillifant Surname Study
- The Wilde Surname Study
- Worship Worldwide One-Name Study
Other One Name Study Websites
- One Name Study and Research, get help and search the database for other researchers RootsChat One name Study and Research. (Free).
- This page was last modified on 26 September 2015, at 23:23.
- This page has been accessed 3,066 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News