Swain County, North Carolina GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Swain County, North Carolina ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Swain County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
|County Seat||Bryson City|
1 Mitchell St P O box 417
Bryson, NC 28713
Register of Deeds has birth and death records from 1913
marriage records from 1907 and land records
Clerk Superior Court has divorce and court records from 1900 and probate records
European settlement began soon after the Cherokee Indian cession of 1798. These Europeans settled in the areas along the Oconaluftee and Tuckaseegee Rivers. The Cherokees surrendered the remainder of the land in a treaty on February 27, 1819. In 1871 the North Carolina General Assembly passed an act making Swain a North Carolina county, taking land from Jackson and Macon county. It was named for David L. Swain a former governor of North Carolina and president of the University of North Carolina.
The first court was held at Cold Spring Meeting House. Commissioners were to select a site for the courthouse and lay out a town named Charleston, to become the county seat. Charleston was renamed Bryson City in 1889 in honor of Colonel Thad Dillard Bryson.
Swain County began probating wills in 1876.
For animated maps illustrating North Carolina county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation North Carolina County Boundary Maps" (1664-1965) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1879--Courthouse fire destroyed many records.
1908-- Swain County Courthouse in Bryson City burned by rioters, January 7, 1908. No records were saved. 
For a list of record loss in North Carolina counties see: North Carolina Counties with Burned Courthouses
- Blount County, Tennessee
- Cocke County, Tennessee
- Sevier County, Tennessee
- List of Cemeteries - at Swain Co. NCGenWeb site
- Birdtown Cemetery - at Cemetery Census
- Swain County Cemeteries - at Find-a-Grave
For tips on accessing Swain County, North Carolina Genealogy census records online, see: North Carolina Census.
- 1861 - 1865 North Carolina, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1861 - 1865 North Carolina, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1873-1966 - Will Books 1 to 2 (1873-1966) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
- 1800 - 2000 North Carolina Birth Index 1800-2000 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1866 - 1964 North Carolina Births and Christenings 1866-1964 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1868-1953 - Swain County Birth Index 1868-1953. Batch C752334 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1898 - 1994North Carolina Deaths 1906-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1908 - 2004 North Carolina Death Indexes 1908-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1909-1975 North Carolina Death Certificates 1909-1975 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1931 - 1994North Carolina Deaths 1931-1994 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1741 - 2004 North Carolina Marriage Index 1741-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1759 - 1979North Carolina Marriages 1759-1979 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1762 - 1969North Carolina County Marriages 1762-1969 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
Societies and Libraries
Swain County Gen. & Historical Society
200 Main Street
PO Box 267 Bryson City, NC 28713
Swain County Genealogical and Historical Society
Swain County Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 267
Bryson City, NC 28713
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Centers for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Swain County, NC History, Records, Facts and Genealogy (Genealogy Inc)
- USGenWeb Project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Swain County, NCGenWeb
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Swain County, North Carolina. Page 513 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ GenDisasters.com Bryson City, NC Courthouse Burned by Rioters, Jan 1908 http://www3.gendisasters.com/north-carolina/17868/bryson-city-nc-courthouse-burned-rioters-jan-1908
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/f/f5/Iginorthcarolinap.pdf.
|This North Carolina-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 10 June 2015, at 21:11.
- This page has been accessed 6,955 times.