Swanton Novers, Norfolk GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Swanton Novers, Norfolk|
|Poor Law Union||Walsingham|
|Parish registers: 1667|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1601|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
SWANTON-NOVERS (St. Edmund), a parish, in the union of Walsingham, hundred of Holt, W. division of Norfolk, 6¼ miles (S. W.) from Holt. There is a place of worship forWesleyans. 
Swanton Novers St Edmund is an Ancient Parish in the Holt deanery of the Diocese of Norwich.
Swanton Novers has an entry in the Domesday Book of 1085, in which the village is recorded by the name Suanetuna. The main tenant was Bishop William. The survey also notes that there were 200 sheep.
St. Edmund's parish church is a little remote from the village. The church has been heavily restored in recent times as it was in a very poor state of repair. The church's tower was rebuilt in 1821.Much of the restoration work has been carried out using old building materials from the original church buildings which dates from Norman times.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Walsingham 1837-1938
- Fakenham 1939-1974
The Register Office, Fakenham Connect, Oak Street, Fakenham, NR21 9SR.
Tel: 01328 850111. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Swanton Novers, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Swanton Novers, Norfolk Genealogy Online Records|
Norfolk Record Office reference PD
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438862.
http://www.btinternet.com/~e.c.apling/1891Census/SwantonNovers.htm for transcript of 1891 census
Poor Law Unions
Walsingham Union was incorporated under the terms of the 1834 Act, and the union workhouse was built at Great Snoring, but not completed until 1838. The Walsingham Union Workhouse at Great Snoring was opened in 1838. It was situated close to the boundary between the parishes of Great Snoring and Thursford and was sometimes known as Thursford Workhouse. Poor Law Unions were abolished in 1930 and the responsibilities of Walsingham Union Board of Guardians were taken over by Norfolk County Council Guardians' Committee No. 7. From 1930 the former Workhouse became known as Walsingham Public Assistance Institution. On 26 and 27 June 1934 the remaining thirty inmates (including two infants but no children) were transferred to West Beckham and Gressenhall Institutions and Walsingham Institution officially closed on 30 June 1934. The building was subsequently adapted for use as a smallpox hospital. By 1976 the building was derelict and was demolished in the early 1990s.
Acquisition Received by the Norfolk Record Office on 26 February 1982 (C/GP 19/192-198) and on unknown dates.
Copies C/GP19/1-6, 131, 133-135, 137, 141, 143-146, 148, 150-151, 173-181 are on microfilm.
RelatedMaterial For records of Guardians Committee No. 7 (including the administration of Red House Children's Home in Little Snoring and the boarding-out of children), see C/GC 7. See Public Assistance Sub-Committee minutes, 11 July 1934 and 12 September 1934, C/C 10/455. The records of the County Architect's Department include plans of the alterations for use as a smallpox hospital dated February 1937, see C/AR 1/29-31. The one inch to one mile Ordnance Survey Map of 1954 designates the building 'smallpox hospital'.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Norfolk: Swanton Novers on GenUKI
- Swanton Nover St Edmund on A Church Near You
- Church of St Edmund Swanton Nover on British Listed Building
- British History online
- Swantonnovers on Norfolk Churches
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 283-286. Date accessed: 11 June 2013.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 11 February 2014.
- This page was last modified on 10 January 2016, at 21:12.
- This page has been accessed 2,586 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News