Swinomish Indian Agency (Washington)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Swinomish Indian Agency (Washington) ancestry, family history and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, parish registers, and military records.
Indians Associated with this Agency
Swinomis, Indians of Washington
The majority of records of individuals were those created by the agencies. Some records may be available to tribal members through the tribal headquarters.They were (and are) the local office of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, and were charged with maintaining records of the activities of those under their responsibility. Among these records are:
- Allotment records
- Annuity rolls
- Census records
- Health records
- School census and records
- Vital records
The 1900 federal census included population schedules for the Swinomish Indian Reservation. The census includes the non-Indian employees of the Swinomish Agency, as well as many pages of Indian Population Schedules for the native population of the Reservation. They are recorded as District 253, Swinomish Indian Reservation, in Skagit County, Washington.
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- This page was last modified on 31 March 2015, at 19:02.
- This page has been accessed 542 times.