Talk:Canada Military RecordsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
- History Central has short histories of the major battles of the War of 1812. It also has a list of other War of 1812 web sites and lists of relevant books (for sale but could go to a library).
- Library of Congress, A Guide to the War of 1812 has digital collections and brief histories about various aspects of the War.This Library of Congress site has a link to collectionscanada if you click on "external web sites" on the home page and click on the first article "From Colony to Country."
- PBS, War of 1812 has an Essays section that gives a US, a British, a Canadian, and a Native People's perspective, as well as articles on POWS, black soldiers, etc.
- U.S. National Archives (NARA), Military Resources: War of 1812 has articles about and guides to records as well as links to other sites.
- Canadian Encyclopedia, War of 1812, discusses the causes of the war and battles, with links to related web sites.
- Archives of Ontario, War of 1812, has information about battles, prisoners of war, a detailed chronology, and links to other web sites.
- The War of 1812 in the Western District has brief histories of the conflicts, prominent people, timeline, map of Lake Erie, an interactive map, etc.
Also, it seems that most of the relevant records in the FHLC are under "Ontario," with the following counties having some kind of military records for the War of 1812 - Essex, Kent, Glengarry, Lambton, Leeds, Norfolk, Oxford and York, although most are militia records. I'll keep looking and see if there's anything else that's of use.
- Cruikshank, E., ed. The Documentary History of the Campaign on the Niagara Frontier, edited for the Lundy's Lane Historical Society by E. Cruikshank, (Microfilm of original published: Welland : Printed at the Tribune Office, 1896-1908), Contents: [Vol. 1-2.] In the year 1814 -- [v. 3-4.] In the year 1812 -- [v. 5-8.] In the year 1813 -- [v. 9.] In 1812-14 [i.e. 1813-14]. FHL film 1404213
- Cruikshank, E. A. Record of the Services of Canadian Regiments in the War of 1812: the Militia of the Eastern District; the Counties of Glengarry, Stormont and Dundas, ([S.l. : s.n.], 1915). FHL book 971.3 M2ce
- This page was last modified on 27 April 2012, at 22:52.
- This page has been accessed 517 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News