Talk:England Cheshire Church of England Parish Registers and Bishops’ Transcripts (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Need More Information on Sources of Collections
As I'm researching, I need to know what films and/or parishes, with the specific dates for each, are covered in this record collection. I've used the "Sources of This Collection" to search the FHLC by key word, title, and author, and cannot find anything that will give me specifics about what records are covered in this collection on Record Search.
When I search Record Search and don't find what I'm looking for, I have no way of knowing whether a particular parish was included, or if I need to check the FHL films.
- Due to the volume of churches with records covered in this collection, we cannot list each church individually. The detailed descriptions you want are only available in the Family History Library Catalog. The following example of a catalog search strategy should help you find the details you are seeking.
- England, Cheshire, [name of locality such as Bidstone]- Church records Subject: Church of England. Parish Church of [name of church such as Bidstone] (Cheshire)
- If I understand this response correctly FamilySearch does not intend to publish any content to any index in future? It is already known to be a website which is unfriendly to users. Surely the first thing which should be available is a content table. The Family History Library Catalogue is not always accurate and contains links which are broken. Please re think your presentation. I can establish very clearly whether a parish is included in indexes on any other British web site by searching content tables (Cheshire BMD, Free BMD) etc. How long do you expect users to spend in catalogue searches when other sites readily offer content information. This is poor presentation. — Preceding unsigned comment added by Moll (talk | contribs) 14:36, 3 March 2011 (UTC)
Re the coverage table. That's more like it. I know it's a pain to do but that's what respecting the sources is about. I'm not wholly sure what you used for the table but it may be worth pointing out that Astbury has many appearances in the Bishops' Transcripts, while none of its PRs appear in the Cheshire Collection. So I suspect that the coverage is a coverage of PRs rather than PRs and BTs (which is what the page's title says)
- This page was last modified on 21 October 2013, at 20:09.
- This page has been accessed 1,205 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News