Talk:FamilySearch Wiki Beginner's CornerEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Let me clarify the merge template - this article shouldn't actually be merged into the specific page Principles of Family History Research but rather that whole group of articles. janellv 16:00, 23 February 2011 (UTC)
We need a gateway page for those who are just curious. It should extol the delights of Family History and not be at all associated with the hard-to-do and hard-to-learn kind of content. Maybe it should link to some of the recent videos, etc. If you move toward that group of articles, you risk losing the casual inquirer. Kurt Matthia 22:45, 28 April 2011
- Kurt, you are very right. Would you be interested in helping us create a page like that? We could also edit the Wiki Tour so that it was all about research rather than all about the wiki. Or create a whole new page. As I think about it, I think it needs a whole new page. I think something like that would be a great addition. janellv 18:58, 18 May 2011 (UTC)
- Yes, I can help. We're currently taking a break after serving 6 years at the FHL and I have a little more time. Do you know whether videos can be embedded? I know they can be linked and put in with a JPG image, but embedding would be better. I linked to the Beginner's Corner from my Flummoxed series Family History for the Flummoxed which I also need to refine. Having a good page for the curious is an important part of that series and could also be linked from other points at FamilySearch. Of course the "page" could also be a "hard" page created by the staff who develop all the wonderful content for the Church. Kurt Matthia 21:10, 18 May 2011
- Great! At the moment, videos can not be embedded. We are hoping that soon though we'll get an extension added that will allow that. The great thing about a Wiki is that anyone can help make it better. The only "hard" page so to speak is the home page. To make a great getting started page, we just need someone to come up with some great content for it. What questions should it answer? How "beginning" should it be? Should it just be a "why is genealogy valuable/important" type page? janellv 14:49, 23 May 2011 (UTC)
In the end, I undid my changes and created a new Flummoxed - Curiosity page to replace the need I originally (last May) had for this page. Anyone can take this page where they will. I'm not using it for what I'm doing. MatthiaKA 03:42, 8 November 2011 (UTC)
- This page was last modified on 8 November 2011, at 03:42.
- This page has been accessed 159 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News