Talk:Mount Pleasant Baptist Church (James City County, Virginia)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The url as it is now is a big no-no. No brackets in it. It should be Mount Pleasant Baptist Church, James City County, Virginia but I noticed from Google and Maps lists showing it to be Mount Pleasant Baptist Church in Williamsburg, Virginia. This is the appropriateurl address. There is nothing wrong with having village/city/town/hamlet level url if at all possible. dsammy 08:24, 3 October 2009 (UTC)
- I just wasn't sure if you use the brackets because the jurisdiction is not actually part of the name of the Church. I wish there was a page that laid out all of these rules. I just checked the Name a new article page and it doesn't mention brackets or anything about naming places in that convention you mentioned (it is also likely that I have not yet mastered how to find these details on the Wiki).
- Washington Township, Des Moines County, Iowa is an example of many where () is not used and not encouraged as part of local nameplace. In fact Wikipedia, the original does not allow it and we are aiming to be as close as possible we can be to Wikipedia in usage of the url naming. There are thousands of counties in USA still noting have contents yet, much less town pages. dsammy 15:34, 3 October 2009 (UTC)
I double checked and the Cemetery is in James City County, not Williamsburg. Google Maps lumps everything in this area in Williamsburg regardless of the real jurisdiction.Gregorybean 11:17, 3 October 2009 (UTC)
- What is the address of the church in question itself? see their own site http://oldchickahominyhouse.com/ dsammy 15:34, 3 October 2009 (UTC)
USGS Map link, please change it to internal Google map instead. This one link you listed mandate pay for access. We have a written policy and discussion governing the access to paid subscription/pay access sites. The free access is always listed first with subscription/pay access listed last with code added (there is an Access Code page describing what each code is and how to use it.) dsammy 15:38, 3 October 2009 (UTC)
- The address of the Church is Williamsburg, but the jurisdiction is James City County. James City County and Williamsburg are treated as essentially the same place so all addresses use Williamsburg. Technically, the church is in James City County so I chose that as the location.
Thanks for noticing the link. It originally linked to free material, but sometimes, when I save my additions, the Wiki inserts multiple ";amp" into the URL. I don't know why, but I fixed the link.
- This page was last modified on 3 October 2009, at 16:50.
- This page has been accessed 55 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More