Tallahatchie County, MississippiEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Tallahatchie County Mississippi genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Tallahatchie County, Mississippi|
Location in the state of Mississippi
Location of Mississippi in the U.S.
|Founded||23 December, 1833|
|Address|| Tallahatchie County Courthouse|
PO Box Drawer 350;
Charleston, MS 38921
Phone: 662.647.5551Tallahatchie County Courthouse]
Tallahatchie County Courthouse
PO Box Drawer 350;
Charleston, MS 38921
Clerk Circuit Court has marriage records from 1909. Clerk Chancery Court has divorce and probate records from 1909 and land records from 1858. 
1833--Tallahatchie County was created 23 December 1833 from the Choctaw Cession.
County seat: Charleston 
For animated maps illustrating Mississippi county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Mississippi County Boundary Maps" (1785-1918) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Mississippi counties see: Mississippi Counties with Burned Courthouses
For tips on accessing Tallahatchie County, Mississippi census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Mississippi denominations, view the Mississippi Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Mississippi Land and Property for additional information about early Mississippi land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Tallahatchie County, Mississippi. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Mississippi Local Histories.
- Men from Tallahatchie County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Tallahatchie County.
- - 1st Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company D - Tillatoba Grays
- - 2nd Regiment, Mississippi Partisans [Also known as 2nd Partisan Rangers Cavalry/Ballentine’s]
- Company I - Eskridge’s Company
- - 32nd Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company F - Southern Farmers
- - 11th Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Tallahatchie Guards Independent Cavalry
Mississippi tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Mississippi Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. Mississippi law did not require keeping birth or death records until 1912. Births and deaths are kept by the Mississippi Bureau of Vital Statistics. Marriage records are kept by the county. See also How to order Mississippi Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Mississippi Vital Records for more information on getting Mississippi records.
- 1856-1916 - Tallahatchie County Marriage Books 2-11 Index 1856-1916 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Tallahatchie County, MS History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Mississippi Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Mississippi Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Tallahatchie County, Mississippi page 383, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/f/f2/Igimississippip.pdf.
|This Mississippi-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 31 March 2014, at 18:49.
- This page has been accessed 4,575 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback