Tasmania, AustraliaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Tasmania, Australia ancestry, family history and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
Tasmania was separated from New South Wales and became an independent colony in 1825. Its capital is Hobart.
Getting Started with Tasmania Research
Numerous articles are available on FamilySearch Wiki to help you get started in family history. This portal will provide links to articles about general research topics.
- Identify What You Know
- Decide What You Want to Learn
- Select Records to Search
- Obtain and Search the Records
- Use the Information
(Your text or images here)
- Tasmania Archives Online (an online searchable index of the Archives Office of Tasmania holdings.
- Tasmania Archives Name Indexes (online databases for Wills, Convicts, Shipping Arrivals and Departures, Inquests, Census Returns etc.
- Colonial Tasmanian Family Links Database: Essentially the Tasmanian Pioneers Index with some linking between the various families. As the linking has been done automatically it is prone to errors and all references should be checked against the original source material.
A wiki article describing this collection is found at:
- National Family History Week July 31st to August 8th 2010
Genealogy from Periodicals
Hart, Marie. Early Birds (A brief summary) Summary of the descendants of John Hynsbey, whose daughter Mary married John Bunnett of Mildenhall. The descendants move to Gt. Cressingham, and one branch to Don, Scotland, and another to Tasmania, and Melbourne, Australia. Article is dated from 1741-1893, and is found in The Norfolk Ancestor, vol. 7, pt 11, Dec. 1995, pages 462-463. Family History Library Ref. 942.61 B2j vol7, n.6-13.
Fysh, JPG and AVGA. Goodbye, Norfolk, I Must Leave You. A basic family tree of Thomas Fysh of Cockley Cley and Ann ? Howes. The family move around to Kings Lynn, London, South Africa - Capetown, Canada - Ontario, Brantford, and Australia, with 2 Fysh going to Tasmania, and one to the mainland, Australia. Sir William Hudson Fysh was the ancestor who founded the airline, Qantas, Sir Philip Oakley Fysh was Prime Minister of Tasmania. Article dates from 1742-1930, and is found in The Norfolk Ancestor, old series, vol.3pt.7, page 94-96, Family History Library Ref. 942.61 B2j vol.3,pt7
Interested in editing or adding to the Wiki? The Tasmania page needs you! Here are some simple ways you can add information other researchers need!
- This page was last modified on 25 March 2015, at 17:28.
- This page has been accessed 5,184 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News