Taunton St James, SomersetEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Taunton comprises the parishes of St. James and St. Mary Magdalene; but many houses extend into the adjoining parishes of Wilton and Bishop's-Hull. Another church has been erected dedicated to the Holy Trinity. There are places of worship for Baptists, the Society of Friends, Independents, Unitarians, and Wesleyans; and the Roman Catholics have a handsome chapel. The Taunton and Somerset hospital was founded in 1809.
Taunton St James was an ancient parish and lay within the borough and market-town, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Taunton and Taunton-Dean, W. division of Somerset, 11 miles (S. by W.) from Bridgwater. Wilton, Staplegrove, West Monckton, are adjoining parishes.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Taunton St James, Somerset parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|TAUNTON ST JAMES PARISH Online Records|
||1610-1617, 1698-1841|| |
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474611.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Somerset Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- ↑ Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848). Date accessed and adapted: 25 September 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Somerset Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 17 October 2013.
- ↑ Somerset Coverage, The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 18 October 2013.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 17 October 2013.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ West Somerset Parish Register Transcriptions, accessed 22 October 2013.
- This page was last modified on 17 April 2014, at 04:01.
- This page has been accessed 755 times.
We want your opinion!
Give feedback on our new look!Give Feedback