Texas NewspapersEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Resources for Texas Newspapers
Libraries and Archives
Collections of Texas newspapers are in the archives listed in Texas Archives and Libraries. The Family History Library has microfilm copies of a few newspapers, such as the Galveston Daily News from 1865 to 1900.
Locating Texas Newspapers
The U.S. Newspaper Directory, 1690-Present is a national directory from the Library of Congress of over 140,000 newspaper titles. The directory provides a list of libraries from around the country that have the newspapers in their collections.
To find the title and location of an ethnic newspaper in which your Texas emigrant ancestor may have appeared see Texas Newspaper Collection by Ethnic, Religious, Professional or Political Orientation (Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin).
Guide to help you locate newspapers:
- Sibley, Marilyn McAdams. Lone Stars and State Gazettes: Texas Newspapers Before the Civil War. College Station, Texas: Texas A&M University Press, 1983. FHL book 976.4 H2smm; at other libraries (Worldcat).
- Texas Newspapers, 1813-1939: A Union List. Houston: San Jacinto Museum of History Association, 1951. FHL film 1036813 item 4
Digital Issues Online
NewspaperArchive.com ($) has a large collection (over 9 million pages) of Texas newspapers online. This database is sometimes free at libraries. It may be under the name Access NewspaperArchive.
Chronicling America has some historical issues for the state of Texas online.
Some obituaries and other vital statistics have been abstracted and published in:
- Texas Newspapers Online
- Texas Newspapers
- The Olden Times website partially indexes newspaper announcements of selected hotel guest registers. Very limited.
- This page was last modified on 19 June 2015, at 19:18.
- This page has been accessed 5,990 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News