The Gumber, SussexEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
GUMBER, THE, an extra-parochial liberty, adjoining the parish of Slindon, in the hundred of Aldwick, rape of Chichester, W. division of Sussex. It comprises 325 acres.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
From 1837 this parish was in the Chichester registration district.
Certificates can be ordered from West Sussex
Centralised Certificates Office
West Sussex Record Office
Phone: 01243 642122
The Gumber is an extra parochial Place.
Link to the Family History Library Catalogue showing the film numbers in their collection Gumber, The
Census records from 1841-1891 are available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. To view these census images online, they are available through a number of websites for a fee ($) or free.
- FamilySearch now has all of the British Censuses available.
- FindMyPast ($) but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- Ancestry.co.uk ($) but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries. The library versions are known as AncestryInstitution.com.
- The Genealogist.co.uk ($) but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- FreeCen is a UK census searches. It is not complete and individuals are always asked to consider helping out with transcriptions.
See Sussex Census
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Sussex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- This page was last modified on 25 October 2013, at 00:49.
- This page has been accessed 425 times.