Tong, Shropshire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Tong, Shropshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Shifnal|
|Parish registers: 1630|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1614|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Shropshire Record Office|
TONG (St. Bartholomew), a parish, in the union ofShiffnall, Shiffnall division of the hundred of Brimstree, S. division of the county of Shropshire, 3¼ miles (E.by S.) from Shiffnall.
A History of Tong, Shropshire: Its Church, Manor, Parish, College, Early Owners, and Clergy ... (1894) is available online at Internet Archive - free.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Tong parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|TONG PARISH (1591) Online Records|
Bishop's transcripts held at Lichfield Record Office Bap 1674-1848 Marr 1674-1835 Bur 1674-1848 Missing Bap/Bur1840-1842,1845-1847
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474584.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Shropshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 372-377. Date accessed: 12 June 2012.
- ↑ 'Shropshire Baptisms 1538-1900,' findmypast, accessed 28 April 2014.
- ↑ 'Shropshire Marriages 1538-1900,' findmypast, accessed 28 April 2014.
- ↑ 'Shropshire Burials 1538-1900,' findmypast, accessed 28 April 2014.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Shropshire, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 21 April 2014.
- ↑ 'Shropshire Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 9 September 2013.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- This page was last modified on 11 January 2016, at 00:20.
- This page has been accessed 2,348 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News