Tunstall, Norfolk GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Tunstall, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Blofield PLU|
|Parish registers: 1557|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1600|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
TUNSTALL (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Blofield, hundred of Walsham, E. division of Norfolk, 2¾ miles (S. S. E.) from Acle. <
The ruined church of St Peter and St Paul now forms part of the parish of Halvergate, Norfolk and is part of the Freethorpe benefice in the Blofield deanery in the Diocese of Norwich. The Ancient parish church fell into disuse until part of it was restored in the early eighteenth century as a chapel and mausoleum.
Additional photos and history are provided on the Norfolk Churches website.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Blofield 1837-1938
- Norwich Outer 1939-1974
Tunstall, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FS PRs = England, Norfolk, Parish Registers, 1538-1900 (FamilySearch) - free|
|JOIN = The Joiner Marriage Index - (£)|
|Tunstall, Norfolk Genealogy Online Records|
|FS PRs||Undefined||1557-1908||Undefined||1557-1837, 1840-1905||Undefined||1557-1812|
- 1813 to 1880 Baptism Project - Trunch St Botolph on Tinstaafl
Images of the parish register are available on FamilySearch Historical Records
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 353
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438867.
1891 Census Surname Index courtesy of Pat Greetham
1597 Subsidy Taxes courtesy of the Norfolk Transcription Archives
Poor Law Unions
The union consisted of the following parishes: Acle, Beighton, Blofield, Bradestone, Brundall, Buckenham Ferry, Burlingham St Andrew, Burlingham St Edmund, Burlingham St Peter, Cantley, Freethorpe, Halvergate, Hassingham, Hemblington, Limpenhoe, Lingwood, Moulton, Great Plumstead, Little Plumstead, Postwick, Ranworth with Panxworth, Reedham, Southwood, Strumpshaw, Thorpe St Andrew, Tunstall, Upton with Fishley, Walsham St Lawrence, Walsham St Mary, Wickhampton, Witton, Woodbastwick.
Blofield Union was incorporated under the 1834 Act. The Union Workhouse was opened in 1836 at Lingwood. Blofield Union Board of Guardians was replaced by Guardians Committee No. 3 in 1930.
Received by the Norfolk Record Office on 6 May 1971 (C/GP2/29) and on unknown dates
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- This page was last modified on 3 February 2015, at 22:34.
- This page has been accessed 1,301 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More