United States, Revolutionary War Rolls (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: United States Revolutionary War Rolls, 1775-1783 .
This collection contains images of muster rolls, payrolls, strength returns, and other personnel, pay, and supply records of the American Army during the Revolutionary War. The collection is arranged by type of service, military unit, and jacket or folder number. This collection is from Record Group 93, War Department Collection of Revolutionary War Records, and is National Archives Microfilm publication M246.
To identify state and military units, see the Revolutionary War Rolls Coverage Table.
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for United States, Revolutionary War Rolls, 1775-1783.|
- Name of soldier
- Rank, company and battalion
- Term of service
- If service was in the field
- If in command
- If sick
- If in the hospital
- If on furlough
How to Use the Record
To begin your search it is helpful to know the following:
Search the Collection
To search the collection:
⇒Select the "Browse" link in the initial search page
⇒Select the "NARA Roll Number, Type of Service, Jacket Number Range" which takes you to the images.
Look at each image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine if the image relates to them. You may need to look at several images and compare the information about the individuals listed in those images to your ancestors to make this determination. Keep in mind:
- There may be more than one person in the records with the same name.
- You may not be sure of your own ancestor’s name.
- Your ancestor may have used different names or variations of their name throughout their life.
Using the Information
When you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. Save a copy of the image or transcribe the information. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details such as a title, an occupation, or land ownership. Add this new information to your records of each family. You should also look for leads to other records about your ancestors.
Unable to Find Your Ancestor?
- Look for variant spellings of the surnames.
- Look for an index. There are often indexes at the beginning of each volume. Local genealogical and historical societies often have indexes to local records.
- Search the indexes and records of nearby military units.
- National Archives Revolutionary War Rolls
- National Park Service Yorktown Battlefield Unit Lists and Casualty Lists
- David library of the American Revolution
- Daughters of the American Revolution Library
- Sons of the American Revolution Library
- The Fred W Smith National Library for the Study of George Washington at mount Vernon
- Museum of the American Revolution
Related Wiki Articles
How You Can Contribute
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citations for This Collection
Citing your sources makes it easy for others to find and evaluate the records you used. When you copy information from a record, list where you found that information. Here you can find citations already created for the entire collection and for each individual record or image.
- "United States, Revolutionary War Rolls, 1775-1783" Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2015. Citing NARA microfilm publication M246. Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Services, 1980.
|The citation for an image is available on each image in this collection by clicking Show Citation at the bottom left of the image screen. You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for United States, Revolutionary War Rolls, 1775-1783.|
- This page was last modified on 13 November 2015, at 16:34.
- This page has been accessed 5,222 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News