United States Bible RecordsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
United States Bible Records
Many families have traditionally recorded births, marriages, and deaths in a family Bible, family record book, or book of remembrance. Family Bibles that are no longer in the possession of the family may be at a historical or genealogical society. They are sometimes transcribed and published in genealogical periodicals.
The Daughters of the American Revolution have collected and transcribed many Bible records. These transcripts are at the DAR Library in Washington, DC, or at local DAR chapters. Most are on microfilm at the Family History Library. Partial indexes to these records are:
- Genealogical Records Committee Index a free online index in the DAR Genealogical Research System (GRS Search).
- Kirkham, E. Kay. An Index to Some of the Bibles and Family Records of the United States: 45,500 References as Taken from the Microfilm at the Genealogical Society of Utah. Logan, Utah: Everton Publishers, 1984. (Family History Library book FHL 973 D22kk; fiche FHL Collection 6089184.) WorldCat entry.
- National Genealogical Society (Arlington, Virginia). Bible Records, ca. 1747-1982. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1995. (On six Family History Library films FHL Collectionstarting with 1987737].) No circulation to Family History Centers. Includes index. Bible records collected from members of the society.
The DAR and other Bible records at the Family History Library are generally listed in the Locality Search of the Family History Library Catalog under one of the following:
- [STATE] - BIBLE RECORDS
- [STATE], [COUNTY] - BIBLE RECORDS
- [STATE] - VITAL RECORDS
- [STATE], [COUNTY] - VITAL RECORDS
Copies, or abstracts of old family Bibles that are no longer known to exist, may survive in Revolutionary War Pension application files at NARA, Washington, D.C., which are available online at three commercial websites: Ancestry, Footnote, and Heritage Quest Online.
You can find further information about Bible records in Wiki pages for each state under the topic of "Bible Records.".
- From Stalkin' Kin In Old West Texas, Vol XVI, No. 2.(San Angelo Genealogical and Historical Society, Inc. Aug 1988):
- "BIBLE RECORDS: The National Archives and the Library of Congress in Washington, D.C. have collections of Bible Records sent as evidence in various claims against the U.S. Government. These are arranged in alphabetical order. Lists of these Bible records are available upon request."
- Bible Records Online:Dedicated to transcribing and digitizing family history content from Bibles across the United States.
- Daughters of American Revolution
- Cyndi's List - Family Bibles
- This page was last modified on 11 December 2012, at 23:16.
- This page has been accessed 7,249 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback