United States in the War of 1812Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|News and Events|
Fold3 ($) is currently digitizing the "War of 1812 Pension and Bounty Land Warrant Application Files". See examples and progress at War of 1812 Pension Application Files.
When war was declared, the Regular Army had about 10,000 men, and about half of those were new recruits. "Each Regular Army infantry regiment was recruited from a particular state (or states). Rifle, artillery, and dragoons were recruited at large...Most, but not all, of the men recruited for a particular infantry regiment were from the state of recruitment."
Map of the United States during the War of 1812.
For a list showing the regimental recruiting districts, see William A. Gordon, A Compilation of the Registers of the Army of the United States from 1815 to 1837, 1 (Washington, DC: James C. Dunn, 1837). Digital version: Internet Archive.
United States Federal Military Units
Not all men enrolled in state militia units. Men also enrolled in federal (US) units. The records for the federal units are more extensive than those for the state militia units.
State and Territorial Militia Units
Many men enrolled in state or territory militia units. The records for these men were kept by the state or territory. Check a state or territory below:
Other States with Records of Veterans
- Queenston, Ontario (British victory) 13 October 1812
- Battle of Frenchtown (Historyofwar.org) (British victory) - 22 January 1813 now Monroe, Michigan on the Raisin River
- Battle of Lake Erie (Wikipedia) (United States naval victory) 10 September 1813
- Battle of the Thames (Wikipedia) (Both sides claimed victory) - Moraviantown, on Thames River, Kent County, Ontario 5 October 1813
- Batle of Lundy's Lane (Historycentral.com) (Both sides claimed victory) - about one mile from Niagara Falls 25 July 1814
- Battle of New Orleans (Historycentral.com) (United States victory) (after peace treaty was signed) 8 January 1815
- Campaigns of the War of 1812-1815, against Great Britain, sketched and criticised; with brief biographies of the American engineers, George W. Cullum, FHL film 1404257
- Paine, Ralph Delahaye, The fight for a free sea: a chronicle of the War of 1812 (New Haven Connecticut, Yale Univeristy Press, 1920) FHL book 973 H2ch v. 17
- PBS The War of 1812 Website is a documentary about the war.
- PBS, The War of 1812, has a short video with information about the war. It also has lists of historic sites with short histories of each.
- History.com, War of 1812, has several short videos about the war as well as a brief written histories of the war and a few prominent people.
- Galafilm, War of 1812, has brief histories of events, historical maps, a bibliography, and lists of links to other War of 1812 sites.
- Naval History and Heritage, Bicentennial of the War of 1812, US Navy, US Marine Corps, US Coast Guard, has videos, biographies, etc.
- United States Navy, Bicentennial of the War of 1812, videos
- Brown, Roger H. The Republic in Peril: 1812. (New York: Columbia University Press, c1964; reprint ed., New York: W.W. North and Company, c1971).
- Caffey, Kate. The Twilights Last Gleaming. (New York: Stern and Day, c1977).
- Carr, Albert H.Z. The Coming of the War of 1812: An Account of the Remarkable Events Leading to the War of 1812. (Garden City, New York:Doubleday, c1960).
- Coles, Harry L. The War of 1812. (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, c1965).
- Fredriksen, John C. The United States Army in the War of 1812: Concise biographies of Commnaders and Operational Histories of Regiments, with Bibliographies of published and primary sources. (Jefferson, North Carolina: c2009). FHL book 973 M2fjc.
- Fredriksen, John C. Officers of the War of 1812 with portraits and anecedotes: the United States Army Left Division gallery of honor. (Lewiston, New York: The Edwin Mellen Press, c1989). FHL book 973 M2fre.
- Fredriksen, John C. Resource Guide for the War of 1812.([S.l.]: J.C. Fredriksen, c1979). FHL book 973 M23f.
- Heidler, David S. and Jeanne T. Heidler. Encyclopedia of the War of 1812. (Santa Barbara, California: ABC-CLIO, c1997). FHL book 973 H26he.
- Heitman, Francis B. Historical Register and Dictionary of the United States Army, From Its Organization, September 29,1789 to March 2, 1903, (Washington: Government Printing Office, 1903). 2 volumes. Abbreviations, vol. 1, page 9. Army organization, vol. 2, page 560. Artillery and Engineer Regiments, vol. 1, page 50. Forts and soldiers homes, vol. 2, page 475. Battles, vol. 2, page 280, 298, 301, 391. Cavalry Regiments, vol. 1, page 65. Dragoon Regiments, vol. 1, page 79. Fencibles and mounted riflemen, vol. 1, 143. Infantry, vol. 1, page 81. Legion, vol. 1, page 139. Rangers and riflemen, vol. 1, page 141. Voltigeurs and Sea Fencibles, vol. 1, 143. War with Great Britain, vol. 281. Officers of Regular Army, killed, wounded, or taken prisoners, vol. 2, page 13. Quartermaster's Department, vol. 1, page 40. Record and Pension Office, 1892, vol. 1, page 45. Topographical Engineers, vol. 1, page 43. Digital versions on Internet Archive and FamilySearch. Also available FHL book 973 M2hh and FHL film 2237.
- Hickey, Donald R. The War of 1812, a Forgotten Conflict (Chicago, Illinois: University of Illinois Press, 1989). FHL book 973 H2hi.
- Horsman, Reginald The War of 1812 (New York, New York, Alfred A Knophf, 1969). FHL book 973 H2hw.
- Jacobs, James Ripley and Glenn Tucker, The War of 1812: a compact history (New York, New York, Hawthorn Books copyright 1969).FHL book 973 H2jr.
- Latimer, Jon: 1812: War with America (Cambridge, Massachusetts: Belknap Press, c2007). FHL book 973 M2Ljo.
- Lossing, Benson J. The Pictorial Field-book of the War of 1812: or, Illustrations, by Pen and Pencil, of the History, Biography, Scenery, Relics, and Traditions of the Last War for American Independence (Salt Lake City: Digitized by the Genealogical Society of Utah c2009). View a great digital version FHL Online.
- Malcomson, Robert. Historical Dictionary of the War of 1812. (Lanham, Maryland: Scarecrow Press, 2006). 701 pages. FHL book 973 H26m
- Mahon, John K. The War of 1812. (Gainesville: University of Florida Press, c1972).
- Perkins, Bradford. Prologue to War: England and the United States,1802-1812. (Berkeley: University of California Press, c1961).
- Pratt, Julius W. Expansionists of 1812. (New York: MacMillan, c1949).
- Schweitzer, George K. War of 1812 Genealogy. (Knoxville, Tennessee, 1983). Includes general history of the war, the types of records created, and the titles of those records. FHL 973 H27s
- Skeen, C. Edward: Citizen Soldiers in the War of 1812 (Lexington, Kentucky: Universtiy Press of Kentucky, c1999). Includes description of the militia system in the states before the War of 1812, how the militia was combined with the regular army, and what happened. Bibliography: p. 215-220. Includes index. 229 pages. FHL book 973 M2scs.
- Smelser, Marshall. The Democratic: 1800-1815. (New York: Harper & Row Publishers, Inc., c1968).
- Tucker, Glenn. Poltroons and Patriots: A Popular Account of the War of 1812. (Indianapolis: Bobbs-Merrill, c1954). 2 vols.
- Weber, Gustavus A. The Bureau of Pensions: Its History, Activities and Organization. (Baltimore: The John Hopkins Press, c1923).
- White, Patrick C.T. A Nation on Trial: America and War of 1812. (New York: John Wiley and Sons, c1965).
- Williams, T. Harry. The History of American Wars: From Colonial Times to World War I. (New York: Alfred A. Knopf, c1981).
- War of 1812 Newspaper Clippings and Pictures (Frankfort, Kentucky, Kentucky Historical Society, 1966). FHL film 482877
- Sites of Interest for War of 1812 Enthusiast. (accessed 22 June 2012)
- Higgins, Francis J. "Index of Awards on Claims of the Soldiers of the War of 1812" (Baltimore, Maryland, 1969, 1994)
- Index of Awards on Claims of the Soldiers of the War of 1812, compiled by the New York Adjutant General's Office. The following list is an index of claims presented by members of Indian tribes primarily in New York mustered into the service of the United States in the War of 1812. Information is presented as follows: Claim number, name of warrior, claimant and amount awarded.
During the War of 1812, many African Americans fought in the U.S. armed forces, especially in the Navy. Many others fought on the side of the British.
- Van Thienen, Erik, The War of 1812, 1812-1815, (Yahoo! Answers, accessed 29 May 2012), has a good explanation of the role of African Americans in the War, including the names of over 20 soldiers. It also gives several sources for more information.
- National Society Daughters of the War of 1812, Great Timeline of the events of the war.
- Causes and events of the War of 1812: a Timeline - includes political events, military events, and military events in Europe.
- National Society Daughters of the War of 1812, has a free search of its Ancestor Database and a list of other War of 1812 sites. It also has possibly the best library on the War of 1812.
- NARA, War of 1812 Discharge Certificates, has an explanation of the records, and the following appendixes:
Appendix I: List of Units and Subunits
Appendix II: List of Company/Detachment Commanders
Appendix III: List of Soldiers by Name
Appendix IV: List of Soldiers by Unit
- The USGENWEB Project has a special project relating to the War of 1812. Look under the state your ancestor came from and then click on military records.
- Wikipedia contributors, War of 1812 Article
- War of 1812 Genealogical Research has links to various War of 1812 web sites.
- War of 1812 Resources - list of resources available in the Newberry Library.
- Society of the War of 1812 The purpose of this page is to providelinks to other websites that relate to the War of 1812.
- Department of the Navy, Naval History and Heritage Command, Officers of the War of 1812, Marine Corps Officers
- Department of the Navy, Naval History and Heritage Command, Officers of the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps in the War of 1812
- Olive Tree Genealogy, War of 1812 Genealogy and History
- Sites of Interest for War of 1812 Enthusiast. (accessed 22 June 2012).
- The Man Who Captured the White House - Brief histories of the activities of General Ross, including the burning of the White House and the events for the writing of the Star Spangled Banner.
A wiki article describing an online collection is found at:
- This page was last modified on 30 May 2013, at 20:39.
- This page has been accessed 14,358 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback