Useful Information to Add to a Place PortalEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The following are ideas concerning useful information you might add to pages about places.
- Links to pages about major ethnic groups of the area
- Links to non-English versions of the page
- Research Tools
- Date the jurisdiction was created, as well as the name(s) of its parent jurisdiction(s). For example, the creation date and parent counties of a county. (This information is usually available from FamilySearch Catalog.)
- Minimalist/simple/mandatory information rather than general information. (Exclude information that doesn't directly relate to genealogical research.)
- Links to other helpful/relevant pages in Wiki
- Strategy documents that help users select the right type of record to fulfill a research objective
- Links to major finding aids, such as gazetteers
- Links to major reference tools, such as translation helps or handwriting guides
- Link to the forum which covers the area
- Links to information on how to write narratives
- Links to local histories
- Use of Timelines (destruction, natural disasters, etc..)
- Genealogical/Historical events in media
- Events affecting jurisdictions and records
- Events affecting numerous deaths or migrations
- Laws affecting marriages, migrations, adoption, voting, record format, or record access
- Inventions affecting travel, migrations, etc., including delay between invention creation and implementation (such as the Utah railroad)
- Wars and drafts
- Natural disasters
- Migration routes per time period
- How to make one category a subcategory of another
- This page was last modified on 19 July 2014, at 04:49.
- This page has been accessed 545 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More