User:Ccsmith/sandbox/UnitedStatesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Getting started with United States research
Numerous articles are available on FamilySearch Wiki to help you get started in family history. This portal will provide links to articles about general research topics.
- Identify What You Know
- Decide What You Want to Learn
- Select Records to Search
- Obtain and Search the Records
- Use the Information
- Principles of Family History Research
- How to Locate Your Ancestor in the United States
- How to Recognize your United States Ancestor
- United States Record Selection Table
- Listing of all records collections for the U.S. available on FamilySearch.org.
- Family Tree Encyclopedia - Terminology & Meanings of Genealogical Terms
- Rotating Formation County Boundary Maps and Atlases for each State
- Printable Genealogy Forms used in Research
- Printable Maps from the National Atlas of the United States -- The Reference and Outline Maps of the United States and of the individual states are of most value to a genealogist. Other types of maps are also available from this site.
- Tracing Immigrant Origins
- United States Census Bureau State and County Map. This map will allow you to zoom in on any State or County in the United States and read the names of all of the neighboring Counties. This makes it easy to see close by locations where other relatives might have lived. This map shows current Counties, consult the individual State Maps section to find out about historical maps. You can even type in a county name in the search box to locate the county on the map.
- A complete descriptive and statistical gazetteer of the United States of America ...: with an abstract of the census and statistics for 1840 (Compiled by Daniel Haskel, John Calvin Smith pub 1843)
- BYU United States Research Outline largely duplicates these Wiki pages. Includes some bibliographic lists from BYU Library, 2001.
- State, County & City Government Court records and Links
- American Revolutionary War (1775-1783)
- The American Civil War
- How to order State Vital Records
- Rotating Formation State / County Boundary Maps and Atlases
- Online State Archives are an often-overlooked resource that can include very useful family history information such as state census and voter rolls, military pensions, slave records, court cases, and much more.
- United States of America Resources and help pages on RootsChat United States of America Resources and help pages. (Free).
Wiki articles describing online collections are found at:
- United States Census Mortality Schedules, 1850 through 1880 (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- United States Census Slave Schedule, 1850 (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- United States Index to General Correspondance of the Records and Pension Office (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- United States, Remarried Widows Index to Pension Applications (FamilySearch Historical Records)
Made up of Canada, Mexico and the United States.
- This page was last modified on 13 April 2014, at 16:10.
- This page has been accessed 2,204 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News