User:HardestyPN/Sandbox Births pre 1863Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
BIRTHS BEFORE 1863
West Virginia became a state in 1863. Before 1863, it was a part of Virginia. Virginia began recording births on the county level starting in 1852. Not every birth was registered in each county leaving gaps in the records. Before 1852, no births were recorded by the county or state. You must search substitute records to locate your ancestor’s birth date and place.
If the Birth was Before 1853
Because no birth records were created before 1853 by the local or federal government, you must use substitute records to locate birth information.
Substitutes for birth record information:
- Church Records: Depending on the denomination, church records may contain information about birth, marriage and death.
- Cemetery Records: Cemetery records are a rich source of birth and death information. These records may also reveal family relationships.
- Census: Census records are a valuable source for birth and marriage information. You may also determine approximate time of death when the individual disappear from the census. This is a good place to begin a search.
- Newspapers: Besides obituaries, local newspapers may contain birth and marriage announcements and death notices. Also check newspaper social columns for additional information.
- Military Records: Military pension records can give birth, marriage and death information. In addition, soldiers' homes records can include this same information.
If the Birth was Between 1853 to 1863
Not all births were recorded for every county. For those that exist, use the following:
Index and Records
|If you can’t find your individual, try the following:|
- If you did not get results, type in less information about the person. Try only searching for the first and last name of the person.
- If you have too many hits, try adding information including approximate birth date and the county.
- Try a different index. Different indexes use different search parameters and your ancestor may be located in one but not the other.
If the Birth was after 1863
- This page was last modified on 31 January 2013, at 23:22.
- This page has been accessed 217 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News