Utah Jewish Genealogical SocietyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Utah Jewish Genealogical Society|
|President||Banai Lynn Feldstein|
|Members||35 in 2010|
|Affiliations||Member of IAJGS|
The Utah Jewish Genealogical Society ...
- The opportunity to be associated with and learn from others who share a common interest in Jewish genealogy.
History of the Society
- Founded in 2002 by Robert Neu. Meetings were originally held at Congregation Kol Ami, moving to the Salt Lake City Jewish Community Center. Some meetings are held at the Family History Library.
- Banai Lynn Feldstein, President
- W. Todd Knowles, Treasurer
- Banai Lynn Feldstein, Webmaster
- Indexing of the Jewish cemeteries of Salt Lake City.
- Beginning in February 2012, our society switched from our previous newsletter to a blog. Entries that are not time-sensitive may be compiled in an annual or biennial journal
- Atsmi Uvsari (My Bone and My Flesh) - available for download from our web site, http://ujgs.org/
- The blog is used to inform members of announcements about genealogical happenings of interest.
- Meetings take place every month on the third Tuesday at 6pm at the Family History Library.
- Beginning in 2012, some presentations will be broadcast via webinar. They will be recorded and made available for viewing by members on the web site.
- Meetings were moved one hour earlier beginning in 2015 to encourage members to stay after the presentation and do some research at the FHL.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Q. What are the directions to the society?
- A. Meetings are held in the main floor classroom of the Family History Library. Directions can be found on our web site on the "Upcoming Meetings" page.
- Q. What are the society's hours of operation?
- A. The society does not have a physical location outside of the locations of its officers. We have no hours of operation.
- Q. Do I have to be Jewish to join?
- A. No. Because of our location in Utah, many of our members are LDS. Most have Jewish ancestry, but even that is not a requirement. All you need is an interest in Jewish genealogy to join.
- Q. Do I have to be a member to attend meetings? Does it cost if I'm not?
- A. Currently anyone can attend meetings free of cost, but we encourage membership for regular attendees. Dues is only $10.
The Utah Jewish Genealogical Society is a non-profit organization, founded in 2002, to provide a forum for and assistance to members interested in researching their Jewish ancestors. UJGS offers research techniques, lectures, and films. Membership is open to anyone interested in Jewish genealogical research without regard to race, religion, or ethnic origin. All people with Jewish heritage and ancestry are welcome -- those identifying with Jews and those practicing other faiths, or no faith.
- This page was last modified on 17 June 2015, at 23:40.
- This page has been accessed 1,028 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News