Vernon County, Wisconsin GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Vernon County Wisconsin ancestry, family history, and genealogy research page. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Vernon County, Wisconsin|
Location of Wisconsin in the U.S.
|Address|| Vernon County Courthouse|
400 Courthouse Square Street
Viroqua, WI 54665
Vernon County Website
Vernon County Courthouse
400 Courthouse Square Street
Viroqua, WI 54665
Register of Deeds has birth, marriage, death and land records;
Clerk Circuit Court has divorce and court records; Register
in Probate has probate records 
For animated maps illustrating Wisconsin County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Wisconsin County Boundary Maps" (1790-1961) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Wisconsin Counties see: Wisconsin Counties with Burned Courthouses
Places / Localities
In the town of Forest is the Mount Tabor Cemetery. It is located in a very rural part of the county, on County Highway V. Even though the cemetery is listed under the town of Forest, Wisconsin, google maps places the cemetery in Hillsboro, Wisconsin. A common surname in this cemetery is Cox.
Church History and Records
- Records of Zion Lutheran Church, Vernon County, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Crime and Criminals
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Land and Property
- Old Antique Atlases & Maps of Wisconsin
- Family Maps of Vernon County, Wisconsin (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
Military History and Records
Civil War service men from Vernon County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are many companies or regiments that were formed from men of Vernon County.
- - 7th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Company H
- - 8th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Company F
- - 12th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Company I
- - 13th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Company B
- - 14th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Company H, with men from the town of Forest, which is found in Fond du Lac County, Richland County, St. Croix County or Vernon County
Naturalization and Citizenship
Archives, Libraries and Museums
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Centers for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
The Vernon County Historical Society (VCHS) is the officially recognized county organization for the preservation of Vernon County's historical heritage. A genealogical class is held on the 2nd Thursday of the month. Check the online schedule for date and time.
Westby Area Historical Society
101 Black River Ave
Westby WI 54667
The Westby Area Historical Society (WAHS) meets on the first Monday of each month at 1:30 p.m. at the Thoreson House. Winter meetings are held at the Halvorson Apartments.
The first settlers arrived in Vernon County, Wisconsin in the 1840s, and many of their descendants are still in the area. Others have carried their heritage to the ends of the country and beyond. Our goal is to collect and preserve their stories, family artifacts and other memorabilia, and to educate future generations in the heritage of this community.
- 1826 - 1926 Wisconsin, Births and Christenings, 1826-1926 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1820 - 1907 Wisconsin, Birth Index, 1820-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1826 - 1908 Wisconsin, Births and Christenings Index, 1826-1908 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1836 - 1930 Wisconsin, Marriages, 1836-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1973 - 1997 Wisconsin, Marriage Index, 1973-1997 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1973 - 1997 Wisconsin Marriages, 1973-1997 at Ancestry.com — index/images $
- 1867 - 1907 Wisconsin, Death Records, 1867-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1835 - 1968 Wisconsin, Deaths and Burials, 1835-1968 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1820 - 1907 Wisconsin, Death Index, 1820-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1959 - 1997 Wisconsin, Death Index, 1959-1997 at FamilySearch.org — index
- Vernon County, WI History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Wisconsin Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Wisconsin Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), p. 760 Vernon, Wisconsin
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- This page was last modified on 27 March 2015, at 15:10.
- This page has been accessed 5,788 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More