Virginia's Botetourt ArtilleryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
- Botetourt Light Artillery AKA - Douthat's Company, Virginia Light Artillery
- Organized in May 1861, as an infantry company
- Assigned to the 28th Regiment Virginia Infantry
- In December 1861 transferred to the artillery.
- The unit soon moved west and was attached to the Department of East Tennessee and later the Department of Mississippi and East Louisiana.
- It contained 43 men in January 1863
- It was the only Virginia unit to be captured at Vicksburg.
- After being exchanged, it served in the Department of Western Virginia and East Tennessee where it was active in various conflicts.
- During April 1865, the company disbanded.
- Its commanders were Captains Joseph W. Anderson, Henry C. Douthat, and John W. Johnston.
Men from Botetourt County
- This page was last modified on 23 December 2015, at 04:48.
- This page has been accessed 420 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News