Virginia Law and LegislationEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
To help interpret courthouse records and more clearly understand the relationships of people mentioned in them, the following books are recommended:
- Cushing, John D., edition Colony Laws of Virginia 1619- 1660. Two Volumes. Wilmington, Delaware: Michael Glazier, Inc., 1978. (Family History Library book 975.5 P3c.) This was originally published in 1809.
- The First Laws of the State of Virginia. Wilmington, Delaware: Michael Glazier, 1982. (Family History Library book 975.5 P3f.)
See also the Public Records section.
If your ancestor was a clerk in early Virginia, this book may help:
- Johnston, Frederick. Memorials of Old Virginia Clerks. 1888. Digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive.
- Yale Law School Colonial Virginia Charters, Grants, and Related Documents
- This page was last modified on 30 January 2015, at 04:15.
- This page has been accessed 2,596 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More