Virginstow, Devon GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Virginstow, Devon ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Holsworthy|
|Parish registers: 1730|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1609|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Totnes|
|Location of Archive|
|Devon Record Office|
VIRGINSTOW (St. Bridget), a parish, in the union of Holsworthy, hundred of Lifton, Lifton and S. divisions of Devon, 6¼ miles (N. E. by N.) from Launceston. 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Virginstow, Devon Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|COPC = Cornwall Online Parish Clerks - free|
|FMP = FindMyPast - (£)|
|FMP = Devon Parish Records (findmypast) - (£)|
|TGEN = TheGenealogist - (£)|
|Virginstow, Devon Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Images of parish registers are available online at FamilySearch. Images refer to Cornwall Record Office reference: P 245.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241316.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Devon Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Virginstow on GENUKI
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 428-429. Date accessed: 05 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Coverage by Parish,' Cornwall Online Parish Clerks, accessed 2 December 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Baptisms', Find My Past, accessed 22 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Marriages', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Burials', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Devon Parish Records Coverage,' Findmypast, accessed 15 November 2014.
- ↑ 'Parish Records,' TheGenealogist, accessed 20 May 2014.
- This page was last modified on 9 January 2016, at 01:47.
- This page has been accessed 5,791 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News