Walcot, Norfolk GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Walcot, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Tunstead and Happing PLU|
|Parish registers: 1558|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1698|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
WALCOTT (All Saints), a parish, in the Tunstead and Happing incorporation, hundred of Happing, E. division of Norfolk, 5¼ miles (E. by N.) from North Walsham. 
Walcot (or Walcott) All Saints is an Ancient parish in the Waxham deanery of the Diocese of Norwich.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Tunstead 1837-1869
- Smallburgh 1870-1938
- North Walsham 1939-1974
Walcot, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Walcot, Norfolk Genealogy Online Records|
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 517/1-5
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438861.
http://www.btinternet.com/~e.c.apling/1891Census/Walcot.htm transcript of 1891 census
Genealogy From Periodicals
Page, BA. Raymond A. The Page Family In Norfolk - The Page's of Walcot, Acle Ormesby. History and family tree of Henry Page of Walcot & Acle with the following surnames, Hexam, Watts, Goodwin, Warde, Bullocke, Short, Jacks, Bennet, Brown, Page, Goose, Worts, Greenacre and Appleton, with reference to South Walsham, St. Mary 1629, Acle, Walcot, Ormesby and Saxthorpe. Article has dates from 1422-1707, and is found in The Norfolk Ancestor, old series, vol. 2,pt.11 page 151-153, Family History Library Ref. 942.61 B2j vol. 2,pt11.
Poor Law Unions
For Tunstead and Happing see Smallburgh Workhouse
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 432-436. Date accessed: 30 July 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Norfolk, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 20 March 2014.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 11 February 2014.
- ↑ Norfolk Transcription Archive, accessed 14 April 2014.
- This page was last modified on 24 March 2015, at 18:25.
- This page has been accessed 2,200 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More