Wales BiographyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
A biography is a brief history of a person’s life. In a biography you may find the person’s birth, marriage, or death information, the names of family members, or highlights of a person’s life. Use the information carefully since there may be inaccuracies.
Thousands of biographies have been gathered and published in collections, sometimes called biographical encyclopaedias or dictionaries. These collections usually include only biographies of prominent or well-known British subjects. Prominent residents of Wales may also be listed in English sources. Other works contain biographies of specific groups, such as painters, ministers, architects, and so forth. Important biographical sources include:
- Dictionary of Welsh Biography Down to 1940. London, England: The Honourable Society of Cymmrodorion, 1959. (Family History Library book 920.0429 C992c; fiche 6026369.)
- Roberts, T. R. Eminent Welshmen: A Short Biographical Dictionary of Welshmen. 2 vols. Cardiff and Merthyr Tydfil, Wales: Educational Publishing Co., 1908. (Family History Library book 942.9 D34r; film 599808.)
Index to British and Irish Biographies
- Manchester: Chadwyck-Healey, 1990. (Family History Library microfiche 6342001.) Indexes printed biographies published between 1840 and 1940. Biographies relating to the index are also in the Family History Library collection, found in the Author/Title Search of the microfiche version of the FamilySearch Catalog under British and Irish Biographies.
British Biographical Archive and Index
- Glasgow University, Humanities Reference Systems Unit, ed. British Biographical Index. London, England: K. G. Saur, 1990. (Family History Library book 942 D32bb.) This is a surname index to the more than 1200 microfiche which comprise the British Biographical Archive. The British Biographical Archive indexes 324 biographical works published between 1601 and 1929. Biographies referenced in this index may also be in the Family History Library’s collection. The British Biographical Archive can be found in the Author/Title Search of the microfiche version of the FamilySearch Catalog under British Biographical Archive.
Other sources are listed in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
- Welsh Biography Online at the National Library. Contains biographies of people that died before 1971.
- ↑ The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Research Outline: Wales (Salt Lake City: Corporation of the President, 2000), 12-13.
- This page was last modified on 2 February 2015, at 22:08.
- This page has been accessed 3,186 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News