Walker Christ Church, Newcastle upon Tyne, Northumberland GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The Church was built in 1848 to a design by architect Mr AB Higham of Wakefield, in the late 13th century style. The Church was originally built to serve the 19th century population of Walker. Many of the congregation were employed in the surrounding coal pits, shipyards and engineering works. Much of the funding for original building and subsequent development of the Church over the years has come from the owners and families of the shipyard, coal and engineering companies in the area, such as Swan, Mitchell, Wigham and Richardson. Some of the windows in the Church and a number of artefacts are dedicated in gratitude to the memory of those families.
The foundation stone was laid on October 21st 1847, by Mr Archibald Reed, Lord Mayor of Newcastle. The contractor for the Church building was Alderman Richard Cail of Newcastle. The total cost of building the Church was £1,250. The Bishop of Durham, Dr Edward Maltby, consecrated the Church at 11am on Tuesday 22nd August 1848 when he drove to the Church in his carrriage and 4 horses with outriders. The first Vicar was the Reverend Christopher Thompson. On the opening day, there were two baptisms and one funeral. The two baptisms were Mary, daughter of Thomas and Mary Cook of Wincomblee and Sarah Frances Swan, daughter of Willam and Ann Swan of the West Farm, Walker. The burial was that of Dorothy Stewart of Diamond Row.
The collection at theChurch RecordsDurham University Library Archives and Special Collections Reference number: DDR/EA/PBT/2/258 Date: August 1848-1858 Parish Register transcripts are available to search free online at Record Search.
The dates of the post-1760 transcripts have been noted in detail and sometimes only cover years. For most parishes in the collection there are gaps in the sequence of transcripts. It is advisable to consult the original parish registers for these years and events.
Walker, Christ Church: Records of baptisms 1848-1981, marriages 1848-1981 and burials 1840-1902 are available at Northumberland Collections Service and at Tyne and Wear Archives Service. For earlier records see Longbenton, St Bartholomew.
- This page was last modified on 3 February 2015, at 22:35.
- This page has been accessed 498 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More