Ware, Hertfordshire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Ware, Hertfordshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Ware PLU|
|Parish registers: 1558; For more records see Thundridge|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1801|
|Diocese||Pre-1845 - London; Post-1844 - Rochester|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Middlesex (Essex and Hertfordshire Division)|
|Location of Archive|
|Hertfordshire Record Office|
Ware, is a town, a parish, a sub-district, and a district in Hertfordshire. The town stands on the river Lea, and on the Eastern Counties railway; it is 2 1/2 miles ENE of Hertford. The parish includes Wareside hamlet. The places of worship in 1851 were Church of England, Independents, Quakers, Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, Lady Huntingond's Connexion, a Catholic and Apostlic church as well as Roman Catholics.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Ware, Hertfordshire Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Ware, Hertfordshire Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Ware Christchurch parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Ware Christchurch Parish Online Records|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 288825.
Genealogy from Periodicals
Gibbins, Keith. Windus of Ware and East London. Article has a Family tree of Windus of Ware Hertfordshire, and East London with a history of the family. Article covers years 1710-1880, and is to be found in The Hampshire Family Historian, Vol.VIII, no.1. May 1981, pages 4-7, Family History Library Ref. 942.27 B2h
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Hertfordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Ware on GENUKI
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848. Adapted. Date accessed: 12 January 2014.
- ↑ 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 20 December 2013. Baptisms 1880-1882 not labelled with a saint's dedication; 1858-1886 Christ Church.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'The Hertfordshire Collection,' findmypast, accessed 4 March 2014.
- ↑ 'Marriages and Marriage Licences (1538-1922),' Hertfordshire County Council, accessed 6 March 2014.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Hertford, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 11 December 2013.
- ↑ Hertfordshire Coverage, The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 12 December 2013.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 12 December 2013.
- This page was last modified on 3 February 2015, at 20:53.
- This page has been accessed 1,779 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More