Warren County, Missouri GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Warren County, Missouri ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Warren County, Missouri|
Location of Missouri in the U.S.
|Founded||January 5, 1833|
|Address|| Warren County Courthouse|
104 W Market
Warrenton, MO 63383-1903
Warren County Website
Recorder Deeds has marriage and land records from 1833;
Probate Court has probate records from 1833;
Clerk Circuit Court has court records
For animated maps illustrating Missouri county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Missouri County Boundary Maps" (1804-1889) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Missouri counties see: Missouri Counties with Burned Courthouses
Places / Localities
Town/city records in the FamilySearch Catalog
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all 114 Missouri Counties.
- Portrait and biographical record of St. Charles, Lincoln, and Warren Counties, Missouri : containing portraits and biographical at Ancestry.com ($)
For tips on accessing Warren County, Missouri Genealogy census records online, see: Missouri Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Missouri denominations, view the Missouri Church Records wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Missouri Land and Property for information about records of land transfers from the government to private ownership. After that transfer, transactions were usually recorded and are currently housed at the county courthouse.
Local histories are available for Warren County, Missouri Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section Missouri Local Histories.
- History of St. Charles, Montgomery and Warren Counties, Missouri : written and compiled from the most authentic official and private sources, including a history of their townships, towns and villages, together with a condensed history of Missouri.... St. Louis, Missouri : Paul V. Cochrane, 1969.
- The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including Warren County. The city of St. Louis is not included in this collection.
- Civil War service men from Warren County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Warren County.
- - 37th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company C
:- 32nd Regiment, Missouri Infantry (Union), Company K
:- 1st Provisional Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company F
:- 3rd Regiment, Missouri State Militia Cavalry (2nd Organization) (Union), Company F
:- 59th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company A
:- 59th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company B
:- 59th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company C
:- 59th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company D
:- 59th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company E
:- 59th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company F
:- 59th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company G
:- 59th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company H
:- 59th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company I
:- 59th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Independent Company later Organized as Company A
:- 37th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company B
:- 37th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company H
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Warren County, Missouri Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
In Missouri, probate records have usually been recorded by the clerks of the probate courts, but in some counties the common pleas or circuit courts handled this function. They are frequently indexed.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Missouri Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths. For additional guidance on researching and using vital records, see United States Vital Records or How to order Missouri Vital Records.
St. Louis and Kansas City recorded births and deaths starting as early as 1850 for deaths and 1870 for births. The Missouri Department of Health began keeping birth and death records in 1909. County records vary by year and the county. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Missouri Vital Records State Department of Health, the County Clerk's office or order electronically online.
- 1827 - 1935 Missouri, Births and Christenings, 1827-1935 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1851 - 1910 Missouri Birth Records, 1851-1910 at Ancestry.com — index/images $
- 1833-1881 - Warren County Birth Index 1833-1881. Batch C515891 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1802 - 1969 Missouri, County Marriage, Naturalization, and Court Records, 1802-1969 at FamilySearch.org — index/images
- 1750 - 1920 Missouri, Marriages, 1750-1920 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1805 - 2002 Missouri, Marriage Records, 1805-2002 at [http://home.ancestry.com/
- 1850 Missouri Marriages to 1850 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1833-1860 - The Marriage Records of Warren County, Books A and B.
- 1833-1860 - Digital book (readable online). 1833-1860. Has a surname index and some notes with entries, especially for underage brides and grooms who needed parental consent.
- 1833-1861 - 1807-1880 Missouri Marriages (Warren County 1833-1861) by Access Genealogy. Searchable.
- 1867 - 1976 Missouri, Deaths and Burials, 1867-1976 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1834 - 1910 Missouri, Death Records, 1834-1910 at Ancestry.com — index/images $
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Centers for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
| Check back often with these websites. Internet offerings are growing at record rates.
Local societies and libraries may know of other websites.
|Missouri Digital Heritage||Free||digital images of many types of records from institutions across the State|
|MOGenWeb||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or complete transcriptions|
|USGenWeb Archives||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|RootsWeb resources||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|Linkpendium||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|CyndisList||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|StateofUS||Free||family history resources and government records|
Books, microfilm, or manuscripts of genealogical records
|FamilySearch catalog||Select topics. To select towns, add a comma to the search box.|
|WorldCat||To find nearby libraries that have specific items, see WorldCat Online Catalog.|
|Allen County Public Library||located in Indiana They are heavily involved in digitizing.|
|Missouri State Archives Library||catalog; from this page you must search "Warren County"|
|Google+||Missouri Genealogy Network Community|
|list of groups from "Missouri Genealogy" search|
|genealogy.com||Warren County, MO Genealogy Forums|
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Warren County, Missouri. Page 406 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/f/f4/Igimissourir.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 6 April 2015, at 19:11.
- This page has been accessed 6,456 times.