Washington East of the Cascades Indian AgencyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency
An agency of the Office of Indian Affairs was established in 1857 at The Dalles, Oregon, on the Columbia River. It was named the Washington East of the Cascades Agency, and was responsible for the Nez Perce, Flathead, and Coeur d'Alene Indians. In 1858, the agency was moved to Walla Walla, Washington, and was responsible mainly for the Nez Perce, Cayuse, and Paloos. In 1861, it was renamed the Nez Perce Agency and was responsible only for the Nez Perce Indians.
The majority of records of individuals were those created by the agencies. Some records may be available to tribal members through the tribal headquarters.They were (and are) the local office of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, and were charged with maintaining records of the activities of those under their responsibility. Among these records are:
- Allotment records
- Annuity rolls
- Census records
- Health records
- School census and records
- Vital records
Any surviving records for this agency would be filed with those of the Nez Perce Agency and other successors.
- ↑ Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974, pp. 171, 194.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- This page was last modified on 31 March 2015, at 15:07.
- This page has been accessed 981 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News