Weston County, WyomingEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Weston County Wyoming genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Weston County, Wyoming|
Location in the state of Wyoming
Location of Wyoming in the U.S.
|Founded||March 12, 1890|
|Address|| Weston County Courthouse|
1 W Main Street
Newcastle, WY 82701
Weston County Website
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|* For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
- Parent County: created 12 March 1890 from Crook
- County seat: Newcastle 
- Neighboring Counties: Campbell | Converse | Crook | Custer County, South Dakota | Lawrence County, South Dakota | Niobrara | Pennington County, South Dakota
For tips on accessing Weston County, Wyoming census records online, see: Wyoming Census.
Church records vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Wyoming denominations, view the Wyoming Church Records wiki page.
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political or Religious Groups
Local histories are available for Weston County, Wyoming. County and town histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Wyoming Local Histories.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Wyoming Land and Property for additional information about early Wyoming land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Naturalization and Citizenship
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Weston County, Wyoming newspapers in online catalogs like:
In most counties in Wyoming, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The Family History Library Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Wyoming- Albany - Probate records.
County Clerk has marriage records from 1890 and land records from 1886.
Clerk District Court has divorce, probate, court records from 1890.
Family History Centers
Wyoming tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the records.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. See the CDC Where to Write website for information on acquiring copies of these records.
- Western States Marriage Index over 1,117 marriages 20 May 1890 to 31 Jul 1914
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
|Bentley||Clay Spur||Energy (hist.)||Osage|
|Buckhorn||Clifton||Four Corners (hist.)||Thornton|
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), p. 767. Weston County, Wyoming
- This page was last modified on 4 March 2014, at 04:23.
- This page has been accessed 3,469 times.