Weymouth, Dorset GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Weymouth, Dorset ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Hundred||Weymouth and Melcombe Regis|
|Poor Law Union||Weymouth PLU|
|Parish registers: 1836|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1836|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Dorset|
|Location of Archive|
|Dorset Record Office|
Weymouth and Melcombe Regis, mun. borough, sea-port, and watering-place, Dorset, on river Wey, at its influx into Weymouth Bay, 7½ miles S. of Dorchester. The borough includes the parishes of Weymouth, Melcombe Kegis, and parts of the parishes of Wyke Regis and Radipole. Weymouth stands on the S., and Melcombe Regis on the N. bank of the river.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241344.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Dorset Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, publ. London and Edinburgh: 1870. Date accessed: 12 July 2103.
- ↑ Dorset, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- ↑ Dorset, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- ↑ Dorset, England, Marriages and Banns, 1813-1921, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- This page was last modified on 27 March 2015, at 15:03.
- This page has been accessed 1,210 times.