What regiment did my ancestor serve in- Officers?Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
RECORDS FOR FINDING OFFICERS' REGIMENT NAME OR NUMBER
- Census records 1841-1911
- Civil Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths (for England & Wales from 1837; for Scotland from 1855; for Ireland from 1864 with Protestant marriages from 1845)
- Homes Sources: especially medals & awards, discharge papers, pension papers, journals, obituaries, old letters
- Army Lists: monthly, annual and the more recent quarterly or half-yearly lists - contain the name, rank, regiment, year of commission to any particular rank of officer. See W.O. 64, 65 & 66.
- Army Lists and Commission Registers: Charles Dalton compiled the commissions of officers from 1661 to 1714.
- Gentleman's Magazine & Index, 1731-1850: Lists many officers' commissions; indexes are at the back of each volume (FHL Book 942 B2gm index).
- Applications for Pensions for Widows and Children 1755-1908: (Foreign Regiments included); W.O. 42, pieces 1-51.
- Militia Attestation Returns: whole military (attachments), 1806-1915; W.O. 96, pieces #1-1522.
- Regimental Registers of births, baptisms, marriages, deaths and burials of soldiers and their families, 1761-1924: (FHL has birth indexes ohnly)
- Chaplain Returns of births, marriages, deaths and burials of soldiers and their families, 1796-1880: FRC, London (FHL has indexes and records)
- Services of Officers on Full Pay: 1828 W.O. 25, pieces #749-779; alphabetical (FHL Book 942 M2sp)
- Services of Officers on Full & Half Pay: 1829, W.O. 25, pieces #780-807; alphabetical
- Returns of Retired Officers' Services on Half Pay: 1847, W.O. 25, pieces #808-823; indexed (FHL Book 942 M23be)
- Registers, Various: Service Returns -- #1 Service Noncommissioned Officers: 1806 (June), W.O. 25, piece #871-1120; indexed.
- Registers, Various: Service Returns -- #3 Discharges (of Noncommissioned Officers): 1783-1810, W.O. 25, pieces #1121-1131; indexed.
- Muster Master Generals' Index of Casualties (officers'): 1797-1817; W.O. 25, pieces 1196-1358
- Regimental Registers of Pensioners: Royal Chelsea Hospital 1717-1857, W.O. 120.
- Other biographical sources (see England Biography)
- This page was last modified on 1 June 2015, at 18:36.
- This page has been accessed 1,073 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News