Whitmore, Staffordshire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Whitmore, Staffordshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Newcastle under Lyme|
|Registration District||Newcastle under Lyme|
|Parish registers: 1558|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1674|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Staffordshire Record Office|
WHITMORE, a parish, in the union of Newcastle-under-Lyme, N. division of the hundred of Pirehill,and of the county of Stafford, 4 miles (S. W.) from Newcastle.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Whitmore St Mary & All Saints former chapelry in Stoke on Trent St Peter
Whitmore parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|WHITMORE PARISH (1558) Online Records|
Deposited parish registers at Staffordshire Record Office Bap 1558-2001 Mar 1558-1995 Bur 1558-1992
Lichfield Record Office holdings of Bishop's Transcripts Bap 1674-1837 Mar 1674-1837 Bur 1674-1838 missing Bap/Mar/Bur 1836-1837
- 1532/3 - A List of Families in Whitmore, Staffordshire Genealogy 1532/3 FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474622.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 555-557. Date accessed: 06 November 2012.
- ↑ 'Staffordshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 16 September 2013.
- ↑ 'IGI Batch Numbers for Stafford (N-Z), England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 23 September 2013.
- ↑ Ann J. Kettle, A List of Families in the Archdeaconry of Stafford, 1532-3 (Stafford: Staffordshire Record Society, 1976). FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
- This page was last modified on 11 January 2016, at 03:48.
- This page has been accessed 2,949 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News