Whittington, Shropshire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Whittington, Shropshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Oswestry PLU|
|Parish registers: 1591; Separate registers exist for Halston beginning 1686|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1682|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of St Asaph (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Shropshire Record Office|
In 1848 - WHITTINGTON (St. John the Baptist),a parish, in the hundred of Oswestry, N. division of Shropshire, 3 miles (E. N. E.) from Oswestry. There is a chapel at Frankton, about three miles from the village; and the Brownists and Bryanites have places of worship. 
The parish of Whittington originally formed part of the Welsh Diocese of St Asaph. However, following the disestablishment of the Anglican church in Wales in 1920, the parish was transferred to the English Diocese of Lichfield.
Halston, formerly extra-parochial, now lies within Whittington Parish.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474587.
The parish of Whittington formed part of the Oswestry Registrar's District.
The following records of Whittington are available on the IGI:
Whittington parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|WHITTINGTON PARISH (1591) Online Records|
Bishop's transcripts held at Lichfield Record Office Bap 1662-1840 Marr 1662-1837 Bur 1662-1840
Halston chapelry registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|HALSTON CHAPELRY (1686) Online Records|
Nonconformist Church Records
The parish of Whittington formed a sub-district of the Oswestry Registration District and any entries for births, marriages or deaths from 1837 in Whittington will appear as Oswestry in the GRO Indexes.
Oswestry: XVIII (1837-1851); 6a (1852-1946); 9A (1946-1974).
- Ordnance Survey map of Whittington
- Info from GenUKI website
- BBC Shropshire feature on the castle restoration
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 557-560. Date accessed: 11 June 2012.
- ↑ 'Shropshire Baptisms 1538-1900,' findmypast, accessed 28 April 2014.
- ↑ 'Shropshire Marriages 1538-1900,' findmypast, accessed 28 April 2014.
- ↑ 'Shropshire Burials 1538-1900,' findmypast, accessed 28 April 2014.
- ↑ 'Shropshire Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 9 September 2013.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- This page was last modified on 3 February 2015, at 22:37.
- This page has been accessed 1,864 times.