Willaston, CheshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Willaston, Cheshire family history and genealogy: parish registers (baptism, christening, marriage, and burial records), civil registration (birth, marriage, and death records), census records, history, wills, cemetery, online transcriptions and indexes, an interactive map and websites.
WILLASTON, a township, in the parish of Neston, union, and Higher division of the hundred, of Wirrall, S. division of the county of Chester, 2¾ miles (E.) from Great Neston. 
Census records from 1841-1891 are available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241240. To view these census images online, they are available through the following websites for a fee ($) or free:
- FamilySearch has some of the British Censuses available.
- FindMyPast ($) has all available census records including images, and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and some public and academic libraries.
- Ancestry.co.uk ($) has now all available census records but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and at numerous public and academic libraries. The library versions are known as AncestryInstitution.com.
- The Genealogist.co.uk ($) has all available censuses and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- FreeCen is a UK census searches. It is not complete and individuals are always asked to consider helping out with transcriptions.
Willaston Chapelry near Great Neston, registers of christenings, marriages and burials have online indexes by the following groups:
|CPR = Cheshire Parish Register Project - free|
|FS PR's =FamilySearch Parish Registers|
|FS BT's = FamilySearch Bishops Transcripts|
|Willaston Christ Church Parish (1865) Online Records|
|FS PR's||1862-1909|| NONE
| FS BT's
Willaston was a chapelry in the parish of Neston. The chapel is Christ Church.
Here is a list of parish registers on microfilm at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City.
Parish registers of Willaston, near Great Neston, 1865-1944 Cheshire Record Office no.: P180/1/1-2, P180/2/1-4, P180/3.
|Parish Registers: Parish registers of Willaston, near Great Neston||Film|
| Baptisms 1865-1902. Marriages 1865-1924.
|| 1656757 Items 13 - 14|
| Burials 1865-1933.
|| 1656758 Item 1|
| Baptisms, 1902-1944. Marriages, 1924-1944.
|| 2197435 Items 1 - 4|
Bishop's transcripts for Willaston, 1892-1894 Cheshire Record Office: EDB 220
| Bishops Transcripts: Bishop's transcripts for Willaston
| Baptisms, burials, 1892-1894.
|| 1647761 Item 2|
- Primitive Methodists
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from 1 July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. Here are two excellent Internet sites with birth, marriage and death indexes available:
- Wirral (1837-1974)
- Chester & Ellesmere Port (1974-98)
- Cheshire West (1998-2007)
- Cheshire (2007-09)
- Cheshire West & Chester (2009+)
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cheshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
See a gazetteer description of Adlington at Vision of Britain.
- This page was last modified on 2 February 2014, at 04:09.
- This page has been accessed 106 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More