Wimborne and Cranborne Poor Law Union, DorsetEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Separate Poor Law Unions for Wimborne and for Cranborne were formed on 28 September and 30 September 1835 respectively, but were merged into a single Wimborne & Cranborne Union in October 1836.
The original Wimborne Union
- Chalbury, Corfe Mullen
- Hampreston, Hinton Martell, Hinton Parva
- Shapwick, Sturminster Marshall
- West Parley, Wimborne Minster, Witchampton
The original Cranborne Union
- Chettle (moved to Blandford PLU 1894), Cranborne
- Farnham (moved to Blandford PLU 1894)
- Gussage All Saints, Gussage St Michael
- Long Crichel
- Moor Crichel
- Sixpenny Handley
- Tollard Royal
- Wimborne St Giles, Woodlands
- East Woodyates and West Woodyates (created 1858)
- Almer (transferred from Blandford PLU 1894)
- Alderholt and Verwood (created from Cranborne 1894)
- Holt and Pamphill (created from Wimborne Minster from 1894)
- Colehill (created from Holt 1896)
For more information on the history of the Wimborne & Cranborne workhouse, see Peter Higginbotham's web site: www.workhouses.org.uk/Wimborne
- This page was last modified on 29 March 2012, at 16:30.
- This page has been accessed 412 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback