Windham County, Vermont GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Windham County, Vermont ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
- This article is about Windham county in Vermont. For other uses, see Windham (disambiguation).
|Windham County, Vermont|
Location in the state of Vermont
|Founded||February 22, 1781|
|Address|| Windham County Courthouse|
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 207, Newfane, VT 05345-0207
Windham County Website
Town Clerks have birth, marriage, death and land records; County Clerk has divorce and court records from 1825; Probate Judge has probate records.
Towns Organized Before 1800:
For animated maps illustrating Vermont County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Vermont County Boundary Maps" (1764-1895) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Places / Localities
Land and Property
Regiments and Companies:
- - 1st Regiment, Vermont Heavy Artillery, Companies A B C D E F G and H
- - 2nd Regiment, Vermont Infantry
- - 4th Regiment, Vermont Infantry, Companies D, F and I
- - 16th Regiment, Vermont Infantry, Companies B, D, F and I
- Newspaperarchive.com ($) has historical newspapers available on-line. Their database has North Adams, MA newspapers (1895-1977) covering local news that included Windham County residents.
Online Probate Records
- 1749 – 1999 Vermont Wills and Probate Records 1749-1999 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1800 – 1921 Vermont Probate Files 1800-1921 at FamilySearch — images
There are two Windham County Probate Districts:
- Marlboro District - Brattleboro, Dover, Dummerston, Guilford, Halifax, Marlboro, Newfane, Somerset, Stratton, Vernon, Wardsboro, Whitingham and Wilmington.
- Westminster District - Athens, Brookline, Grafton, Jamaica, Londonderry, Putney, Rockingham (including Bellows Falls), Townshend, Westminster and Windham.
A wiki article describing an online collection is found at Vermont, Windham County Westminster District Probates (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Birth Certificate,
- Marriage Certificate ,
- Divorce Certificate,
- Marriage Dissolution Certificate, or
- Death Certificate
Downloadable applications from Vermont Department of Health.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Dover Historical Society,
PO Box 53,
East Dover, Vermont 05341-0053
- Historical Society of Windham County
Vermont Rte 30
P.O. Box 246
Newfane, VT 05345
Phone: (802) 365-4148
- Brattleboro Historical Society, Inc.,
Municipal Building, 230 Main Street, 3rd floor,
Brattleboro, VT 05301
Phone: (802) 258-4957
- Dummerston Historical Society,
PO Box 8064,
North Brattleboro, VT 05304
Phone: (802) 257-0674
- Windham County, VT History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Vermont Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Vermont Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch.org FamilySearch Catalog for Windham County
- The Windham County VTGenWeb Project, a member of The VTGenWeb Project , an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Windham County
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 699, Windham County, Vermont. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ Michael J. Leclerc, Genealogist's Handbook for New England Research, 5th ed. (Boston, Mass.: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2012), 394-95. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 974 D27g 2012.
- This page was last modified on 24 September 2015, at 22:56.
- This page has been accessed 13,646 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News