Winton County, South Carolina GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Winton County was never surveyed or properly laid out. Its boundaries were ambiguous. Its county government never became fully functional. Most records were kept at the parish level; few were kept at the county level. In this case the term "county" had little meaning other than to describe an approximate geographical area. For the most part it was a county in name only.
For animated maps illustrating South Carolina county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation South Carolina County Boundary Maps" (1682-1987) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
- ↑ "The Counties from 1664 to Present - In Alphabetical Order" in South Carolina - The Counties at http://www.carolana.com/SC/Counties/sc_counties_alphabetical_order.html (accessed 28 April 2011).
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 A History of Winton County, South Carolina in Carolana at http://www.carolana.com/SC/Counties/Winton_county_sc.html (accessed 5 May 2011).
- ↑ Carolana cites E. B. Reynolds and J.R. Faunt, The County Offices and Officers of Barnwell Co., SC 1775-1975 (Spartanburg: Reprint Co., 1976).
- This page was last modified on 9 March 2015, at 18:09.
- This page has been accessed 2,728 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News